Nine

Valerie P.O.V.

The days all blurred together as I went through the motions like a zombie. Getting up to eat, study, work, attend my exams, shower, sleep and repeat until Friday came and I could just crash in bed. Carter and I hadn't spoken since the FaceTime call. I didn't reply when he had texted and called me during the week. I don't like him. I don't miss him. I don't want to talk to him. I don't like him. I don't miss him. I don't want to talk to him. I don't like him. I don't miss him. I don't want to talk to him.

On Sunday morning, Ellana and I decided to meet up and have a girl's day. We headed to The Grove where we had brunch and spent the day shopping. Inspired by the personalised gift Carter had gotten me, we decided to do something similar. She dropped a cool $350 (thanks to her current show contract) on a men's black leather Givenchy wallet, which we planned to have embossed with his initials in the bottom right corner near the logo. We also stopped by La Perla so she could try on some lingerie for the second unofficial part of his gift. Kean was going to get lucky. After making her purchase of a lacy black ensemble- an underwire push up bra and a thong, complete with a garter belt and thigh high stockings, we made our way to Victoria's Secret. There was no way I could afford La Perla, and I wanted something a little nicer than regular department stores.

I admired the store on the inside. It was designed in a way that made the place ooze glitz and glamour, sparkling lights shining over the merchandise expertly, with large digital screens showcasing the models. Their marketing strategy and product placement was genius I thought, my business side taking over a little as I thought to myself. I'd love to have my own little boutique with a feminine, sexy, yet ultra-chic vibe. I browsed the store for cute pyjamas I could get for myself, picking out a few to go try on. As I wandered over to the underwear section, a piece of lingerie displayed on a mannequin caught my eye. It was a burgundy red three-piece set; a strappy lace bralette, garter belt and cheeky lace panties in a brazilian style cut.

"That would look amazing on you, you should try it out. The red compliments your colouring well," a salesgirl remarked from my side with a smile.

"Yeah, I think I will actually..." I said, pondering over the features on the piece.

"They're just over there," she pointed at where the stock was located. "Let me know if you have any troubles."

"Great, thankyou heaps." I beamed, making my way over. Picking out the appropriate sizes, I cringed a little at the sight of the price tag- it would break the budget a little, but there was no harm in trying it out.

"Hey Ell, I'm going to try out some stuff," I let her know after I found her browsing in the beauty department.

"Ooooh! Need me to come with for a second opinion?"

"Yes please!"

We made our way to the change rooms and I tried on the first pair of pyjamas I picked out. Nope. Definitely not this one. It looked much cuter in the photo. Why does that always happen?! This didn't need a second opinion, the mirror had said enough.

"Sommer just texted me saying she was having a get-together at hers this coming Thursday." Ellana's voice came through the door. "She was a little drunk and thinks she accidentally deleted your number instead of saving it, but wanted me to tell you that you're invited and you should defs come."

"Oh really?" I responded with pleasant surprise. I hadn't heard from Jess, Alexys or Sommer directly in a while, but they did like a photo I had posted on insta.

"Yep. I don't have to shoot that day so I think I'll go. You?"

I came out of the change room in my next outfit as I replied; "Yeah I should be free, all of the next 3 beautiful months in fact!" I grinned.

"That's cute! I approve." She looked at me, nodding appreciatively at the silk, navy matching camisole crop and short shorts I had on. "What about the red lingerie set?"

"Oh yeah, coming up next- hold on!" I quickly changed out of the nightwear and placed them in the 'yes' pile. I clipped on the bralette, noticing how it had a small bit of padding lined on the cups' edge that made my boobs look a little perkier. Next came the garter belt and panties. I poked at the side of my butt, watching it jiggle in response- hmmm I should cut back on the ice-cream and get back to gymming now that I have a ton of freed up time. Other than that, I didn't look half bad. It kind of felt totally badass wearing sexy lingerie, like I was some sort of super- secret, seductive spy in an action movie.

"Get it." Ell ordered without so much as a blink as I opened the door.

"Ugh idk if I should bite the bullet."

"You can just use the money from working extra shifts this break," she suggested, shrugging her shoulders.

"True." It didn't take much convincing for me to decide to take this baby home with me.

I was terrible at shopping. I couldn't ever go window shopping because I would always come home with something, so I never went unless I really had to. After making our purchases, we decided to head back home. I ended up getting the lingerie, navy pj set, a patterned cotton tee (that was actually my size) and cheap grey boyleg shorts from another store.

~

Thursday rolled around in the blink of an eye as I kept myself busy, picking up more shifts at work after blowing some money at Victoria's Secret. Carter hadn't messaged me since Monday, wondering how I went with my finals.

After applying a little makeup- I kept it natural with a little concealer under my eyes and on any spots I had, some eyebrow product, waterproof mascara, cream highlighter and bronzer on my cheeks and tinted lipgloss, I was ready to go.

Ellana had explained that Sommer was probably going to be shooting cause she wanted to get a few candid shots to go up on her photography and art feed. I wore a black denim skirt, with a white off-the shoulder top that had a ruched tie up centre, and a dainty gold choker around my neck with a couple of rings. I tied up my long hair in half up, half down pony with a cute scrunchie, and grabbed a pair of sunglasses on my way to the door.

"Ready?"

Sensing my hesitation about going, Ellana continued: "I don't think they're like your other friends back in NY, Val. Also, you've really grown as a person and you're much less naïve. Kean said they're nice girls. Sommer definitely is. She doesn't put up with Xavier, another friend of theirs, when he's being a douche apparently," she chuckled.

I calmed myself for a moment before perking up. "You're always right you know that." I nudged her playfully with my elbow. "Want me to drive?"

"Yep! your car over mine any day!"

We arrived at Sommer's little house she was renting just before four in the afternoon after a 30-minute drive.

"Hi! So glad you could make it girls!" She gave each of us a quick hug, then led us through her home. Music was playing in the background as the sound of laughter trickled in from outdoors.

"Wow I love your setup," Ellana commented as we stepped out on to the small deck that lead into the backyard. There was a ton of potted plants scattered about the place, alongside about ten people chilling on the outdoor lounge casually drinking and picking at the snacks. A hammock hung from one of the trees and a bench sat before a large wooden trellis with climbing floral vines intertwined in the gaps, providing a nice backdrop.

Alexys and Jess bounced over to greet us, before asking if we wanted to take a seat and meet the other people here. After an hour catching up on what they'd been upto lately, alongside gorging myself on nachos and iced tea- in came Kean, a guy I didn't recognise, and the last person I expected to see.