Eighteen

Carter P.O.V

I just finished up having lunch at Urth Caffé with Lacey; an old mutual friend of Sommer's and I, before hopping in my car to drive to Kean's. She reached out to me last week asking to meet up, and since we all used to hang out together in our early L.A days, I thought it would be nice to catch up. I don't really keep in contact with her and we don't run in the same circles any longer, it's just what happens when you grow up over time and go on to do different things. I believe Sommer doesn't speak to her either.

I pulled up to the house and let myself in as usual. It was nice and quiet, Alec was probably down in the studio working on some new music, and his parents weren't here often as they were constantly travelling. This place was basically a large bachelor pad and party venue.

"Hey, what's up Carter?" Kean asked, giving me a bro handshake as I came in to the rec room.

We were going to chill for the afternoon and probably play video games, before heading to Ellana and Val's apartment for dinner. It'd been a while since we'd spent quality time hanging out together, as he had a busy filming schedule.

"Same old, I went to Miami last week to do a photoshoot and then I collaborated with Jason Kaye while I was there as well." I said, sitting down on a bean bag on the floor.

"Oh sick, he's a good videographer." Kean nodded before turning on the PlayStation and TV, collapsing on the bean bag next to me.

"Yeah he's awesome. How's work? This is the final season right?" I asked him as he handed me a controller.

"Yeah, the first episode of the season is airing like next week. There's a celebration for the cast & crew, you should be my plus one, pretty sure Ell's asking Valerie."

"Yeah I'll talk to Val and see if I'm free," I nodded my head. "So... what's going on with you and Ellana now?" I smirked at him from the corner of my eye.

Kean was a bit of a womaniser in his early teenage days, so it was nice to see him start to form more serious relationships. He was a good guy and deserved someone who understood and supported him.

"We're officially dating..." he replied modestly.

I turned around to face him in surprise. "What?! Happy for you dude. She seems really nice."

"Thanks, she's fucking awesome!" he grinned as we fist bumped each other.

I know the feeling.

"So.... you know since I know Ell... which is how you met Val, that means I'm totally like Cupid." Kean remarked with a pleased smile, as we started up the game and selected our characters- just like the good ol' days.

"Yeah yeah I'm aware," I chuckled, twiddling my thumbs on the controller.

"So is this thing between you guys legit? Or is the expiration date coming up cause you've become uninterested?" he raised an eyebrow at me questioningly.

I thought about it for a moment as I absentmindedly moved my player around, shooting the bad guys. I haven't been invested in someone else in a long time...

"It's definitely legit. Well I hope she thinks so too... and I mean I don't know what's going to happen in the future, but I don't see myself losing interest in her anytime soon." I concluded thoughtfully.

I'm definitely infatuated, but it hasn't been that long, could this infatuation quickly fade over time? I really don't see that happening with her though. She was just so different to anyone I'd ever met. Whatever I felt, had to be more than infatuation, much more. It felt too real, especially in a place where connections can be all too fake and short-lived.