One

Valerie P.O.V

I flopped my body onto the bed, enveloping myself in the comfort of silky sheets and soft fluffy pillows with a content sigh...what more could a girl ask for?

Ah who am I kidding? I'll need the ice-cream, chocolate and perhaps a little Netflix marathon too.

Please and thankyou!

Freshly showered and shaved, there was no better feeling than relaxing after a week of grueling classes and shift work at the café. I mean, I couldn't exactly complain... I signed up for it and the grind was bloody real. Despite this, I was proud of myself for my pursuit of attaining at least a small sliver of independence.

I guess you could say I grew up with a bit of a silver spoon in my mouth. My parents were wealthy- well in fact, all the Delwood's were, and I had for the most part- a decent childhood spent complete with the annoying but lovable siblings and cousins. White picket fence and all that. Well... technically they were glass revolving doors of a glistening skyscraper, plus a doorman for the penthouse, and automated steel gates with sandstone columns for the Hampton house... but you get the gist.

It was practically unheard of for a young Manhattan socialite to voluntarily leave her family empire and work a "low socio-economic status job". My eyes were practically rolling into the back of my head, thinking about the backlash I got from the uptight high society queens about my move.

I wanted to branch out and make a mark for myself on the world, and I wanted to earn it for once in my life. I didn't want to be a spoilt little princess who was only ever validated because of the superficial and materialistic things she possessed. It was so easy to lose yourself in that world and become, for lack of a better word, a manipulative bitch.

I just wanted to be me, and be real. I spent my fair share of trusting people who never really cared for me, of falling into the wrong crowds, and loving someone for all the wrong reasons.

So, I parted ways with the toxicity that was slowly consuming me, packed my bags, transferred from Columbia to UCLA and flew across the country to the West Coast for a fresh start.

At least my best friend's here too though, I thought.

As if on cue, I jolted upright from my position and stopped my inner ramblings as I heard Ellana holler; "VALERIEEEEE!"

"Honeyyy, I'm home!" Ellana sang, bursting into my room of our two-bedroom apartment, situated a neat 10 minutes from UCLA and Hollywood- where Ellana has been filming a guest role on a television series.

"Hey Ell," I laughed at her.

Ellana Fields was gorgeous. Long lean legs- standing at about 5'8", slender curves, lightly tanned skin (THANKYOU CALIFORNIAN SUN), sparkly blue eyes and tousled brunette/blonde ombre hair. And to add the cherry on top, her easy-going larger than life personality and infectious down-to-earth aura made her an instant hit with everyone she met.

She took one look at my daggy over-sized t-shirt and the open laptop on my bed. "Oh my god Val, please don't tell me you're gonna be doing one of your sad, lonely, pitiful binge nights!" She cried dramatically with utter horror written across her face.

Yep. Definitely made for acting. Ellana was incredibly talented, not to mention a great all-round human being, so I have no doubts she'll be huge soon. I met her freshmen year at Columbia in one of my classes, until about a year and a half in, she discovered her passion for acting, dropped out and moved to California to pursue her dreams. Less than a year later I joined her... after the thing that happened... but let's not get into that.

"Hey hey hey... there is nothing wrong with lounging around here wallowing in self-pity, corny teen romances and a tub of deliciousness. Ben & Jerry's is extremely offended by you!" I playfully chastised. "And besides, I don't mind being alone y'know..." I quietly added.

She snorted in response. "Yeah yeah whatever, I know. But this can't be good for you in the long run, lying here pretty much every Saturday night. You're 21 for goodness sakes! Social interaction is good for you. You need to connect to other humans every once in a while," she scolded, popping a hand on her hip.

I stared back at her with a look of contempt. As I opened my mouth to defend myself, Ellana cut me off. "Nah uh, you barely hang with your college friends outside of class, the librarian doesn't count and neither do customers at work."

"Hmph." I childishly retorted, huffing loudly.

"C'mon Valerie, you've been in L.A for a year now and all I see you do is go to class, go to work, laze on the beach and then go home," she softly said as she made her way over to the bed and sat next to me. "And of course, you hang out with me and your family when they visit but... you need to get out there more. Meet people, and let them in also. This is your fresh start remember? New life, new friends..."

"I just... I can't be that girl again. I don't ever want to." I drew my knees up to my chest.

Ell gazed at me with kind, reassuring eyes before turning her body forward and wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "You were young, and you made mistakes, and it's not all your fault. You're different in a better way now. You're still you, but now it's the real you. I've always seen that, and you should let other people see it too because you are literally the most amazing person I've ever met. You're an amazing friend."

I took in a deep breath, pausing for a moment to think thoroughly- she's right. I need to start living and leave the past behind for good.

"Don't ever doubt that." She finished with a quick pat on my back.

I pushed my hesitations back and smiled. "Thanks Ell. You're the best."

She grinned back. "Oh I know," she said, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

I shook my head and chuckled at her antics.