Thirty one

Valerie P.O.V

Today is my birthday.

The past week I've had was so incredible, I really didn't feel any different when I woke up this morning. I finally got up and out of bed after a sleep-in (it's mah birthday so I deserved it).

I freshened myself up in the bathroom to get ready for the day. The sound of my ringtone blared, just as I walked to my closet to find an outfit. Grabbing my phone from the nightstand, I looked down to see my brother's name flash across the screen.

"Hellooo," I answered.

"Sis! Happy 22nd birthday!" Will greeted cheerfully.

"Thanks," I chuckled.

"I've got a surprise for you!" He said excitedly.

"What? No Will you didn't!" I exclaimed, slightly terrified of what he had planned.

Will could be quite extreme sometimes. Once, he bought all the tubs of my favorite ice cream flavours in bulk- and we had nowhere to store them. He then thought it would be a great idea to buy some industrial-sized freezers to remedy the issue. He then realised they would not fit in our penthouse, and we had to get rid of it. Will was 16 back then and had just gotten his credit card. It was a pretty hilarious situation at the time, until we got scolded by mom and dad. He was always very thoughtful, but he gets a tad bit too carried away.

"Oh relax, I promise I didn't buy you a pet tiger or anything."

Woah okay, good to know that's not a possibility.

"Alright, well I can't wait to see it then," I replied with a chuckle, relieved at the fact that it wasn't something too crazy. "How are you, and mom and dad anyways?" I asked, slipping on my underwear and clothes.

"We're all good here. The business is going well. You're finishing college soon right? Are you going to come back and see DelCorp?"

"Yeah probably I think. Unless I try to pursue styling, but I haven't done much really besides that time I came back to NYC." I responded in thought.

"Well you're always welcome at DelCorp you know that right? Nepotism and shit," he chuckled.

"Thanks Willy, love youuu." I said in a teasing baby voice, like I used to do when we were younger.

"Ew gross, love you too." He laughed. "Ah I gotta go now, speak to you soon Val," he said as I heard the sounds of honking and busy street sounds in the background.

"Okay bye! Thankyou for calling!!" I hung up. After quickly doing my hair and makeup, I stepped out of my bedroom to go make some brunch.

As I neared the end of the hallway, my jaw dropped and my heart thudded violently against my chest. Hundreds of gold and white balloons on pearly strings floated from the ceiling, as two large rose gold foil balloons shaped in '22' were stationed in the centre of the living room. A large bouquet of pink peonies, blushing brides and orchids sat on the coffee table alongside a small gift box with a paper bag on top.

"Happy Birthday Val!!!" Ell appeared through the midst of balloons and ran over to give me a hug.

"Wow did you...?" I breathed out in awe.

"Nope," she shook her head with a grin. "I've got some castings today but I will see you later for dinner okay?" She grabbed my shoulders to speak to me directly. I nodded silently, still stunned over the magnificent scene.

This was all for me?

"Bye! Love ya wifey!" she blew a kiss before exiting the apartment door.