Two

Valerie P.O.V.

"SO anyways, now that I have given my inspirational talk, deserving of an Oscar...how much more convincing do I need to do for you to come out with me tonight?" Ellana prodded.

Who knew a simple pep talk could hold so much significance and power to motivate even the lost of souls. It wasn't like I was hurt still from everything that instigated the chain of events that led to my move, I was at peace with it. It's just that I was scared to let people in, scared to trust and scared that I would let people affect me negatively and not know it until the damage was already done. So, I generally kept to myself and the few people I could trust, I was content with how I lived. But was I happy? Or was I just surviving? Not truly living?

"Not much. I kinda owe you one for putting everything into perspective." I let out a deep breath and responded sincerely.

"Eeeeppp!" Ellana squealed excitedly, bouncing up and down on the bed. "Oh my god okay, it's been such a long time since we've last gone out! And don't be silly, you owe me nothing at all," she brushed away, jumping off the bed and making her way to my closet.

"Yeah, I really have missed going out. Especially dancing in the clubs," I chuckled.

I loved going out to dance to the music pretty much, I always felt so carefree being just a little tipsy and letting go to the beat. R'n'B was my favorite and a little Pop or remix never hurt as well. I most definitely have not missed how tightly packed and sweaty it is though, and not to mention the occasional jerks that ruin a good time for everyone.

"Yeah are you serious?! You don't even realise how many guys drool over you when we're out and you're moving your hot little bod on the dance floor," her muffled voice came out of my closet.

"Oh please, they're probably ogling you."

"Um look in the mirror please Val," she scoffed. I could basically feel her giving me her classic don't mess with me bitch staredown. For a ray of sunshine and lollipops, she is absolutely frightening when need be.

I was about 5'5" with a bit of lean muscle and curves along my average sized frame. I had long, straight dark chocolate coloured hair with grey eyes. I also sported a healthy dose of the Californian sun with my tanned skin. I'm not a sore sight, but I'm not a bloody Victoria's Secret supermodel either. I was fairly appealing, I knew that and I had a somewhat decent body. It took me some time to be comfortable with myself and build my self-esteem to accept my physical appearance- you just gotta work with what you're given. But still, I was never going to be the Ellana's of this world. The drop dead gorgeous species of female perfection plastered all over social media.

Ignoring her remark, I entered the walk-in and leant against one of the shelves on the side. "Okay, so before you get lost in Narnia, please tell me what's the go for tonight before I change my mind and back out?"

"You can't blame me! Even on a budget, you have the best taste in clothes!" She paused for a moment before continuing; "Though it really was a sad day when you sold some of your designer stuff to make a savings account for bills."

"R.I.P." I joked back as I crossed my arms.

I needed some back-up money because my pay at the café hardly could cover rent, food, gas and tuition. Designer handbags or roof over your head? Was a pretty easy pick. My parents insisted on me using my credit card, but that would totally be redundant in my mission to turn over a new leaf... if they were still paying for everything. Besides, they had already forced me to take my car- a sleek, white BMW convertible with me to L.A, and I would totally be murdered if I sold that off. "I will not be seen in a beat up old car if you ever have to drive us when your Father and I come visit dear," my mother had firmly stated. I loved my parents, although they were totally snobby being two generations deep in wealth, and with a few faults that make them human, they tried their best to understand and support us.