thunderstorm

You sat on the giant white beanbag in the basement, listening to everyone talk. Kat was sitting next to Sam and Devyn was laying across Corey's legs. Jake was sprawled out on the floor and Aaron was resting on the other beanbag.
Everyone was talking and laughing and having a good time. Most of the talking was about new merch and designs, so you were only half listening to the conversation since it didn't really affect you.
Colby was laying next to you on the beanbag and you were leaning up against his side. He held your hand tightly and rested his chin on top of your head.
Brennen was there too, since he had stopped by earlier and decided to stay and hang out for a while. He was sitting next to Sam on the other end of the couch.
You hear a faint noise that seems to be coming from either upstairs or outside. You wait to see if Colby or anyone else notices it. No one reacts or responds.
"Did you hear that?" You lean back and whisper in Colby's ear. He pauses to listen for it, and you hear it again. It sounds like water dripping.
He nods slightly.
"I think it's raining," he whispers back calmly. He looks at you.
"Let me check the weather app and see if it's supposed to get bad."
He says this so nonchalantly and it only takes you a second to realize that it's going to be a thunderstorm.
You hated thunderstorms. You had bad anxiety and thunder was one of the things that could almost indefinitely trigger you into a panic attack. You didn't know how to explain it, they just made you scared and anxious for no reason.
     "It's supposed to be a thunderstorm and it's gonna last all night," Colby says. Suddenly, thunder booms and it shakes the whole house. The windows rattle and it's almost like an earthquake.
     You instinctually cuddle closer to Colby so that you're right up against him and squeeze him tighter. He wraps his arm around your shoulders.
     "Hey, it's okay. It's only supposed to last for tonight; it'll stop by morning."
     Internally, you panic. You don't know if you can deal with a full night of this.
     Colby kisses the top of your head and you settle next to him a little bit.
     Thunder crashes again, but this time you hear a faint electrified sizzle and then the lights flicker. They go out moments later and everyone's left sitting in the dark. You whimper and Colby pulls you closer.
     "Well shit," you hear Jake mumble.
     "I'll go find some flashlights and candles upstairs." Corey says, turning on his phone flashlight.
     Colby tries to get up so he can help look for stuff, but you hold onto his hand.
     "Baby, I'll come right back. I gotta help find flashlights." You reluctantly let him go. He goes upstairs to help the other guys look.
     He comes back minutes later with a blanket and two flashlights and sits back down. You immediately cuddle back up to him and he puts the blanket over you. He kisses the top of your head and you feel calmer.
     You pass the time by telling ghost stories and talking about adventures you wanted to go on. After a few hours, you're exhausted and are in the phase where you're not asleep but you're not really awake either. You can pick out voices but the only ones you hear clearly at first are Jake and Brennen's.
     Colby starts to notice that you're tired and makes sure not to move if you are asleep because he doesn't want to wake you up. He gestures for Jake to come over to him and Brennen comes too.
     "Is she sleeping?" Colby whispers, brushing your hair aside. Brennan looks at you for a second and nods at him. You're not actually sleeping but you're going to give in soon.
     "I'll take her upstairs, she seems really tired," Colby says.
     He picks you up bridal style and you rest your head against his chest.
     "Can you guys grab her phone and bring the flashlights up too?" Both Jake and Brennan reply with "Sure" and get the stuff off the beanbag.
     He makes his way upstairs and passes Sam in the kitchen.
     "Hey, is she alright? She seemed really scared after the power went out."
     "You know how she gets when there's a storm. She's got really bad anxiety and it's one of the things that set her off I guess." He shrugs slightly.
     "I'm just gonna take her to bed and let her cuddle up with me if she wants to. She usually sleeps up against the wall and I sleep on the other side, but I feel like tonight she's going to want me there."
     "Ok well, good luck I guess. If you need anything I'll be in my room." Sam goes upstairs and Colby goes after him. He nudges the door closed with his foot and walks you over to the bed.
     He gently lays you down and puts the blanket over you. He changes into black basketball shorts and crawls in next to you.
     You sleep against the wall for an hour or two, but then the storm really gets crazy. You wake up to rain pouring outside. You see a brief flash of lightning and then another giant thunder crash shakes the floor.
You flinch hard and let out a little squeal. This wakes Colby up.
He turns over to face you. You can feel tears welling up in your eyes as you look at him.
"Aww Y/N. Come here."
     You move over next to Colby and lay your head under his chin. You snuggle into his neck and he wraps his arms around you.
     "It's okay, I'm here baby. Don't worry."
     You sit in silence for a few minutes, too anxious to even think about sleeping.
     Colby starts to sing to you. You can barely hear it at first but you realize he's singing Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day. It's one of your favorite songs and you smile.
     Colby rarely ever sings because he says he hates his voice. To you, it sounds absolutely beautiful, especially right now.
     He's trying so hard to calm you down and help you fall asleep and it's kind of working.
     After he finishes, he starts singing Malibu Nights by LANY, another one of your favorites. You become sleepy very quickly and end up passing out before he finishes the song.