Chapter Forty-Eight "Unexpected Surprises"

We arrived back at the Edgehills well before supper, I was looking forward to having some time to myself after such an emotionally exhausting morning.  I smiled noticing that Leah was waiting eagerly at the door, although I knew it was not for me, but for Alice.  I held the puppy gently as Lord Edgehill exited the carriage and then I passed her to him, Leah's hands trying to intercept the bundle of fur.  "Do be careful, Leah," he sighed letting her take the pup, "she's had a long ride."

            "Oh, she's darling!" Leah cooed taking her to the grass.

            "You could have held her all the way home, if you joined us," I implied with a smirk.
            "That's true," Lord Edgehill agreed helping me down, "how was that painting lesson?"

            "What painting lesson," Leah began and then caught herself, "oh, it was very well.  Anna has a great eye for painting."

            "Anna?" Lord Edgehill asked with an eyebrow raised at his daughter, "I thought you were helping Sarah."

            "That's what I meant," she giggled scooping up Alice and hurrying into the house.

            "I think we've been fed a load of codswallop," Lord Edgehill laughed as he escorted me inside.  "What do you think she's been up to while we were away?"

            "Actually it's probably my fault," I confessed, "I had told her that I was looking forward to a long ride with her after I realized that she was Thomas' accomplice."

            "Oh?" he said looking down at me, he had a bit of a knowing smirk to his face.  "It's good to see them getting along so well again."  Once I set my things on the table he turned to me with an informal bow, "Thank you for your company this afternoon, Miss Woodbridge.  It was most welcome." 

            "I enjoyed it as well," I smiled and curtsied, not knowing what else to say.  There was a moment of silence where it seemed like he was going to tell me something but then the puppy came running around the corner and slid into his boots with Leah not far behind.

            "What are you doing to my princess?" he laughed bending down to pick up Alice.
            "We were just playing," Leah said, "Wait, I thought I was your princess!"

            "A man can have more than one princess, can't he?"  Lord Edgehill looked to me.

            "Yes, that's very true," I nodded, "however he should only ever have one queen." 

            Lord Edgehill's smile twisted in appreciation, "One is usually all we can handle."

            Leah looked a bit dumbfounded at us before she gave herself a shake, "Oh, Miss Woodbridge, there was a parcel delivered for you.  I put it . . . in the sanctuary," she whispered the last three words conspiratorially.

            "Thank you," I offered in a hushed tone and headed towards the stairs, "Are you coming, Leah?"

            "Not yet, I'm still meeting Alice," she giggled as the puppy tugged on a ribbon she was holding.

            On my way to our hideaway I stopped by my room, looking inside to see if Faith or any of her belongings were here yet.  Nothing, so I set my reticule on my dressing table and then  returned to the hallway.  The sounds of Leah's giggles and the puppy's barks carried throughout the house, they were very happy noises.

            As soon as I opened the door to the practice room I noticed the box sitting on the sofa.  I rushed to it and put it on my lap, letting my fingers glide over the ribbon before taking out the card.