Chapter Ninety-Two "The Hedge"

My heart was racing as I heard the door slam shut behind me. It was followed by some muffled thumps and murmurs. As much as I wanted to know what was happening, I could not handle an exchange with Thomas or his mother. I stood there in the darkening night and panicked. Where could I go?

The first time the door struggled to open had me starting towards the tree house. It had always been a sort of refuge and I doubt Freddie would let anyone near it, thinking it was the logical place for me to go. I gathered the skirt of my dress and began running, doing my best to be careful of the frost covered grass.

I was halfway there when I heard the loud racket. I turned to see several people stumble out into the night from the open doorway. I saw Freddie stooping to help Arthur to his feet as Thomas was panting heavily into the cold air, billows of heat coming from his mouth. I could not stop the cry that crossed my lips, fearing for my brothers, "No, Arthur!"

Thomas turned immediately and smiled that wicked grin when he saw me. "I have something for you!" he called as he began walking towards me.

Freddie and Arthur both looked to find me, "Margaret, run!" Arthur tried to yell although he seemed at a loss of breath. I saw Freddie point away from the tree house and I nodded, running towards the hedges that surrounded the garden.

"Damn it, Margaret!" I heard Thomas wince. I could only presume that he started to run to catch up to me. "Don't make this harder than it has to be!"

I ran down one path and then took another corner before I stopped. I had to gather my bearings. My mother always adored those huge estates with the hedge mazes, so Father had some hedges put in with a few intersecting paths, to separate the front lawn from the family yard and gardens. It was far from a maze, but as far as Thomas knew, it could be. I tried to catch my breath and decide what route to take.

Looking at the way I came, you could see my footsteps in the frost. I quickly stepped over them going back so it was hard to distinguish which way I went. At least that was my hope. There was no way I could keep doing that and stay far enough ahead of my pursuer. Eventually he'd be able to follow my footsteps straight to me.

"Get back here!" I heard Freddie call. My heart lurched against my chest. "You have no business with my sister and I insist that you leave."

That was enough to get me moving again. I dropped the hem of my gown and let it trail behind me over the ground. A ruined dress I could handle, coming face to face with the man who looked like Isaac, but wasn't...that I could not. Not again.

I never played in the hedges as much as Arthur or Jonathon, but I knew my way well enough. If I kept to the inner wall, it would lead me around the garden before it stopped at the trees. I could then cross the back way. If I was fast enough I could go in through the kitchen. If he was close, I would have to risk the path to the beach.

"Don't think, just go," I whispered to myself. I stepped as carefully as I could but kept a good pace. It was so quiet that I could hear my own breath. It frightened me even more.

I heard several familiar voices cutting through the air, "How dare you handle me like this!" Lady Edgehill's voice shrilled. It was followed by a murmur of people whispering as they came out to watch. I wished they'd all leave.

"Oh Arthur," Lucy effused.

"I'm okay," he answered, "but we need to find Margaret."

"Where's Margaret?" Leah called out.

There was more talking but I couldn't hear it well enough to know what they were saying. Instead I heard loud whispers that were much closer to me, "Magpie, I'm here." It was Freddie, but I couldn't quite distinguish exactly where he was. "Come towards me."

"Where are you?" I called, trembling.

"Margaret, we're coming!" Leah called, much closer than she was moments ago. "Thomas, can't you just leave us alone?"

"Freddie?" I sniffled, trying to make my way back towards the path where I entered. There were so many footsteps and other whispers; I was getting lost with the commotion. "Freddie, is that you?" I took another corner, getting closer to another set of footsteps. I heard my magpie call and picked up pace. He's got to be on the next path, "Freddie, I'm coming!"

I took the next corner when Freddie yelled, "No, Margaret! That's not me!"

It was too late, I was standing in front of Thomas, "You really didn't need to make it this difficult," he purred taking a step closer. "Not that I don't appreciate a good chase, especially when the prize is...so..." he leered at me.

"Freddie!" I screamed. I heard pounding footsteps getting closer, I kept trying to step back, but keeping my eyes on him.

"Worth winning," he smiled as he put his hand inside his jacket.

He took another step closer when I was stopped by a hedge wall. I felt myself trembling throughout my body, I could not stop shaking. "Please, leave me alone," I cried, the tears streaming down my cheeks.

"Margaret!" Freddie was yelling furiously, sounding further than he was before. "Don't you dare touch her!"

"I made a promise," Thomas said coolly, "and I will see it through." The closer he came, the more I wanted to look away. My eyes flinched with every movement he made. "Don't be like this, Margaret. I think you'll like it..."

He was almost within arm's reach of me when a figure crashed through, taking him to the ground. "Margaret!" Leah rushed to me. "We found her!" she called out. I looked down to see Owen landing a blow to Thomas's chin. I felt my legs give and I started to fall myself, sobbing as I went.

"No, it's...it's okay, Miss Woodbridge," Owen said turning to me.

Freddie was the next to rush in, "Did he hurt you?" he asked immediately pulling me against him in a protecting embrace.

"I...I can't," I blubbered.

"Leah, would you be good enough to take her inside?" he asked calmly when he saw Owen forcibly lifting Thomas to his feet. "We have some business to attend to."

Leah's arm felt sure as it moved around my waist, she was going to be my strength as long as I needed it. I had no words to offer, I just looked at her as she pulled my arm around her shoulder and started to lead me, "I have you," she smiled.

We only took two corners before we found Lucy and then Arthur who were coming in to lead others out. "Are you okay?" they asked. I nodded as they came to take me with them.

"I have her," Leah said, "Freddie asked me to get her inside," she sniffled. With that Lucy went to my other side to walk with us while Arthur moved past to join Freddie and Owen.

We were almost to the house when Freddie and Owen brought Thomas out of the hedge. "What did you ruffians do to him?" Lady Edgehill said opening the door of her carriage, ready to step out.

"You will stay right there," Patience demanded, closing the door on her. "And then you and your despicable son will leave." Lady Edgehill did not say a word but moved back into the carriage so that Freddie and Owen could put Thomas inside.

"Come, Margaret," Leah said with a nudge, "let's go inside." I nodded and followed her, not looking back again.

All I heard was Freddie, "Don't come to this house again." The carriage door slammed shut, "And you, don't you ever approach my sister again."

"But I have to..." Thomas wheezed, "I have to give her this."

"I don't care," Freddie's words were tense.

"Please, I promised that I would put this in her hands," Thomas' voice broke, "Please?" His voice was trailing off as we entered the house, "It's all my fault..."

Patience followed us inside, closing the door before we heard any more of the exchange. "Get her upstairs, I will say goodnight to our guests." Lucy nodded and then looked over to Leah; she was trying so hard to remain stoic but her eyes showed her turmoil.