Chapter Forty-Three "Waiting for the Inevitable"

I decided to wait in the parlor for Freddie. In a way I was looking forward to visiting with Faith and Percival today, it had seemed like so long since I've seen them. I had missed my friend severely when she left, but I knew why she did. I was, however, not eager to explain everything to either of them. I am sure that in time Faith would join me in my happiness with Thomas, especially if I were to tell her how he made sure to introduce me to a certain Mr. Winchester. But the hardest part would be to talk to Percival. Would it be possible for me to make him understand? How can I tell him that I want his happiness if Faith is right and I am what made him happy? I stared out of the picture window at the light rain that was falling, where would I be now if Patience had not interfered?

            "You're already up, Magpie?" Freddie asked poking his head into the parlor. I tried to smile and nod but I felt that the rain streaked window mirrored my inner emotions much better. "Let me grab a spot of breakfast and then we'll go."

            "Yes, Freddie," I nodded. While I waited I decided to go upstairs for Percival's handkerchief. I know Faith had the cameo, but it would only be right if I returned everything. My heart sank knowing that soon I would have to look into his face and see the hurt that is there. For a brief moment I was second-guessing my decision to ahead with the marriage that Patience had arranged for me. Before I ever met Thomas I was hopeful of Percival . . . sure that I could have a very happy life with him. For weeks I kept the cameo with me so I could touch it in case I needed reminding that he actually gave it to me. Even with the subtle, and not so subtle, allusions that I was not for him, there was a glimmer of hope. Even with Patience settling an arrangement for me, a slight part of me held onto that hope. That Freddie would come and annul the contract and maybe Percival would take me far away. I could feel the weight of the remorse settle on me. I went to close the nightstand drawer and I noticed one of the bunches of violets that Thomas had given me. They were starting to fade and I knew I should press them soon if I wanted to keep them, so I found my journal. I leafed through the pages to find a place for them, but there weren't many free pages left. I smiled realizing how many violets he had given to me over the past few weeks. I closed my journal and set the violets beside it, taking a deep breath I felt for certain that I was on the right path.

            I turned to go and as I did, my eye was caught by yet another bunch of violets sitting atop my pillows, "No," I whispered aloud as I went to check if I had missed another old bunch. These were new . . . very fresh and fragrant. I smiled as I nuzzled them, "I don't know how you did it, Thomas . . . but thank you." I left them on my pillow, they would be a very welcomed sight if today went badly. As I headed down the hallway I heard Leah giggle and the slight sound of a door being closed deliberately quiet, "I haven't forgotten, Leah," my voice echoed just a bit, "I will find out what you know." Only quiet answered me and I began towards the stairs, "Oh yes, thank you for letting me borrow your purple sash . . . you were quite right about it."

            The softest "You're welcome," found my ears.

            I smiled to myself and returned to the parlor where Freddie was pulling on his waistcoat, "Oh there you are," he nodded, "I thought you ran off to hide," he winked.

            "That's not funny, Freddie," I replied as I took a white parasol from the rack, "I haven't hid from social calls in . . . um . . . "

            "Yes, it wasn't that long ago, Magpie. In fact it was when Percival and Faith first arrived at our country home and you kept ducking him," he smiled walking up to me. His eyes took in the token around my neck, "Is that something new?" he asked even though he had a very good idea of where it came from I suspect.