Chapter Seventy-One "Promise Me"

Patience had given me a gentle hug before she returned to her room, her words still hung over me.  I was not sure what to make of her sudden disclosures of the past, but I could not shake the last thing she said.  Part of me knew she was right, what other reason would Percival have to come here unannounced?  Yet my heart did not want to yield to the idea, there must be another reason.  What could it be?  Surely he would tell Freddie, they got along famously after all.  I decided to see if I could overhear something that would put my heart at ease.

            The doors to Freddie's study were closed.  I tried to think if there was another way to listen aside from pressing my ear to the thick wood because it would probably get me nowhere.  There was a window but I would not be able to get close enough to hear well, especially without their noticing.  I took a deep breath and leaned my body against the doors, trying to have my ear lined against where they met, as if that would be where their words would seep through.

            I could not make out much, a word here or there and it was usually Freddie's voice that carried.  Words like London, sister and ship caught my breath, I knew they were talking about what happened.  But what brought him here is what I wanted to know, so I stayed and listened.  I was so caught up in my endeavor that I did not notice my dear Jasper come along until he barked, startling me to the point I cried out.

            I cupped my hand over my mouth and tried to step back, planning to retreat to the nearest room, but Jasper kept running around me, making it difficult to take more than one step at a time.  So when Freddie opened the study doors, I was no more than three feet from where I stood a moment ago, "You could have just knocked, Magpie."  Freddie smiled, his eyebrow playfully lifted, "Why don't you join us?"  He stood back to let me into the room, but I was frozen in place.  There was some invisible thing that loomed in the air, making me think that it was a trap.  If I entered, I would not be able to flee easily.

            "That's all right," I blushed when I noticed Percival turn around in the chair to look at me, "I'll just ask you for your answer later."  I felt foolish for that, for trying to pretend that I only wanted to ask Freddie something when I was eavesdropping to find out what brought Percival to our doorstep.  I also wished that my brother did not know me as well as he did.

            "Oh," he nodded, "I did forget to give you my answer in that regard."  I wanted to glare at him for playing along with my tragic attempt at deception, but I felt my lips purse and the smile he returned was more infuriating.  "I think we can arrange for you to have piano lessons again," he looked back at Percival for a moment, "Yes, I think that would be a wonderful idea."

            I had trouble controlling my annoyance at my brother, I felt my fingers rolling into a fist but I somehow found a way to smile at Freddie, "Thank you, brother, it's most generous of you."  I wanted him to know how furious I was, but I would dare not show it, not in front of Percival.  I gave a curt nod and turned to walk away.

            "Margaret, won't you join us?"

            "I must decline," I replied without turning back, "it's time for Jasper to have a walk.  Come along, Jasper!"  I was relieved to hear the sound of my pup padding along after me.

            The garden was always one of my favorite escapes.  I was still home, but out from the walls that kept me enclosed.  As a child it became some sort of compromise for when I felt a need to runaway, so long as I stayed in the garden, Freddie would not run after me.  It gave me time to calm myself, collect my thoughts and make sense of things that did not go my way.  The garden was a place of solitude and centering, I needed that today.

            I lead Jasper through the rows of flowers and stopped at the benches that separated the garden from the lawns.  I took a seat and watched him roll in the shaded grass, he was happy to frolic.  I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, trying to hear the sound of sea.  Hoping that I again would hear the voice that I missed desperately.

            "I see you've met a new friend since I saw you last," I felt my shoulders fall when Percival spoke, for it was not the voice I needed to hear.  "You call him Jasper?" he said sitting on the bench and reaching out to my pup.

            "Yes," I managed with a smile, "He was give to me in London."

            "A gift?" surprise tinged his words, "How lovely."  It was odd between us now, I disliked it.  I missed how we used to have an easy time conversing, this felt more like we were fighting to find the right words.  "Margaret, I must ask you something . . . "

            My body tensed and I found myself holding my breath once he uttered those words.  I turned towards him and nodded, letting him know to continue.  "My sister wrote to me when she found out that you left London.  She said that there was no contract, no marriage and that you were coming home . . . "

            "Faith wrote you?" I felt bewildered, of course she did, it made perfect sense.

            "Yes," he nodded before continuing, "as soon as I read it, I made my way here.  I had to find out . . . is there an attachment between you and Mr. Edgehill?"

            I inhaled sharply, "No formal attachment," it was the only reasonable thing I could think to say.  I felt the threat of tears return, "But I do love him, Percival."

            "I don't doubt that," he moved closer and opened his jacket, "but Faith told me that he left you on the night of your engagement party . . . "

            "What else did Faith tell you?" I could not fault her for her loyalty to her brother, but part of me was devastated that she shared such intimate details with him.

            "That does not matter, not right now," Percival said quietly as he produced a tied bundle from a pocket in his jacket, "I have not stopped caring for you, Margaret."  I felt the need to stand, but he caught my hand and brought me back to the bench, "Please don't leave until I finish.  I fear I may only get this one chance and I must take it."

            My breath was shaking but I managed a nod, "All right."

            "I've written you many times," he showed me the stack of letters tied with a string, "but I never sent them.  Even after you broke with me, I wrote."  I took the bundle he offered me, running my finger along the edges of the paper . . . there were so many letters.  "I am leaving on a short voyage soon, I should be back before the Christmas holiday.  I want you to read them, Margaret, all of them," he took my hands in his and pulled me closer so I would  look into his eyes, "If my words move you, in any way . . . when I return, all you have to do is say the word . . . and I'll stay."

            "But your commission . . . "

            "I'll stay," he nodded.  I could tell he meant every word, as if his very life was tied into each syllable.  "You're the only thing I've ever really wanted."

            "But Percival, I . . . " he stopped my mouth with his finger.

            "I know you love your Mr. Edgehill now, but once you loved me too.  I don't think you can deny it.  All I ask is that you take the time to read my words . . . and give me a final answer when I return.  I know how much you love to read," he tried to laugh but it still came out saddened, "Just promise me?"

            "I promise," I nodded, not knowing what else I could say.

            Percival smiled as he stood, "Then I will take my leave," he leaned down to me and kissed my forehead, "I have missed you terribly, Margaret."  I watched as he left the gardens and bypassed the house.