Chapter Seventy-Nine "Patience and Freddie"

For days I stared at the delicate tear bottle, taking the stopper off and putting it back on, contemplating the meaning behind it.  When you lose someone, you cry, it's inevitable.  At some point the crying must stop or we forget to live.  I supposed that whoever first made one of these bottles was rather clever, finding a way to tell us when the mourning should be over.  However some losses we feel deeper than others.

            I looked over my room, noticing the things that have occupied my time as of late.  The letters from Percival taking up space at random places as I continued to read them, learning everything he withheld.  My journals from London that held sweet reminders of what I found there and longed to feel again.  I felt caught between past and future, but in an unknown present.  It made no sense to me since I live in the present, but I was still unsure which path to take, and so I was stuck in uncertainty.

            One particularly fine day, as the cooler breezes began to pick up and rustle the long grasses and leaves, Freddie called me to his study.  I became uneasy when I entered and saw that Patience was there as well and they had a tray of tea ready.  That could only mean that there was to be some serious discussion.  As I took the seat waiting for me I realized that our guests were together and contented busily, I wondered if that was planned as well.

            "So, Magpie," Freddie broke the silence as Patience handed me a cup of tea.

            "So?" I inquired when he did not continue to speak.  I noticed he looked a bit uneasy, it was very unlike him.

            "Have you finished reading Percival's letters?" he said setting his folded hands on his desk.  I stared at him for a moment, trying to keep my mouth from hanging open.  I could hardly believe he brought this up, and in front of Patience.  But he merely lifted his brows waiting for an answer.

            "It is all right, Margaret, I know," Patience said softly, followed by a little smile, "I am fully aware of how my brother feels for you."

            I let my eyes fall to my lap as I cleared my throat, setting my tea on the desk, "I have been reading the letters, Freddie.  Percival had asked for an answer when he returns, I believe I still have time."  As I stood to excuse myself, ready to give my brother a piece of my mind when we were alone, Patience stood and set a hand on my arm.

            "What we hoped for was a gentler approach," she smiled, "We have been discussing the potential and I want to tell you that I have no qualms . . . none between you and Percival."

            I stood there flabbergasted.  No qualms she said!  I turned to face her, I could feel my face tighten as I fought every emotion that rose in me.  Freddie knew what was coming and he quickly moved to stand between the two of us.  "How dare you," I said between gritted teeth, "No qualms now?"  My voice rose an octave or two, "Why is there no qualms now instead of months ago when Percival was actually here?"

            "Sssh," Freddie shushed as he tried to get me to sit again, "We will explain . . . just sit, sit and listen."  I stared at him, confused as he knelt beside me.  I looked at my hands and they were shaking, I tried to ball them into fists to control it, but it just made me want to lash out more.

            "I know I apologized before, or I tried to," Patience began, she sat at the edge of the chair, as if she might need to take flight at a moment's notice.  I had to admit that was probably rather smart of her.  "I have done you grave injustices lately.  I meddled with you and Percival and then I tried to . . . "