Chapter Eighty-Five Understanding

Poor Faith was flummoxed. She just sat there gaping, staring at us silently for several moments as Leah and I shared some very unladylike thoughts of what Thomas' wife would be like. When she had enough she stood dramatically, "How can you not care?? You told me that you loved him . . . that you loved him more than Percival!"

The shrill tone of her voice sent me cowering back into the sofa. I had a flash of memory of one of the times Patience was very upset with me. Faith was bewildered, bordering on angry. I didn't want to look away from her in case it would make her more agitated. Then it finally dawned on me, "Oh Faith," I sighed sympathetically, "you never found out."

"Found out what?" she set her hands on her hips and stood there, silently demanding an explanation.

"I think we should have Philip join us," I told Leah, "Let's clear everything now." She nodded and went to retrieve Faith's young man. I coaxed Faith back into her chair when Charlotte brought in a tray of chamomile tea and some of her shortbread cookies.

I had a captive audience as I told my strange tale of loving the brother that wasn't. I was actually thankful that we had Philip join us because he remembered when the Edgehills mourned Isaac; he recalled hearing of a riding accident. He looked to Leah, "You knew all of this? You had to keep it to yourself?"

"How could you?" Faith asked and at first I wasn't sure if she was speaking to me or Leah. I was afraid to look at her, the tone was accusing.

"I was very young," she whimpered, "and I knew better than to cross my mother, especially after that." I offered her my handkerchief to dab her eyes. I felt a slight ache as she took the violet studded linen from me.

"This does explain some . . ." Philip began.

"Margaret?" Faith spoke up, agitation still in her voice, "You never told me a thing!"

"I didn't know! He didn't tell me until after you left," it was my turn to fight the tears, "then we had to keep up pretenses around his family!"

Faith's lip trembled, "And in the three months since he left you at your engagement party . . . you still said nothing. Are we not dear friends?" Philip moved to hold her, to give her someone to lean on.

"We are," I tried to say and not cry the words. "I didn't want my mayhem to wreck what you were building. I wanted you to claim your happiness with Philip!"

She buried her head in his shoulder, "Give her some time," he said gently rubbing her arms, "This is a lot to take in." I nodded, trying to regain my composure. "After all, we thought we were bringing you the upsetting news."

"Oh but you have!" Leah popped up from her seat, a smile beginning to beam through the tears. "Don't you see?" The three of us just stared at her blankly. "It's out that Isaac is still alive. Mother can't keep the secret anymore and even if she tries to hide what really happened, Father won't let her!"

"That's all well and good, Leah, but . . ."

"And now that Thomas has taken a wife . . . there shouldn't be anything stopping Isaac from coming and claiming you for his!"

She was right. The news would circulate quickly. That's what brought Faith and Philip here. "But your father's been looking . . . and we haven't heard anything from him." Why was I saying this? I should be ecstatic!

"Oh Margaret," Leah took my hand, "Isaac hasn't been in our lives in so long, I'm sure he has corners that we wouldn't even think to look in." She sat thoughtfully for a moment, "I could try to write to his other parents . . ."

"Don't you think your father thought of that?"

"If my father showed up on your steps looking the way he did when he found out, would you open the door?" Despite my best efforts, I had to chuckle when I shook my head. "But a letter from a young lady might be answered."

"You are a wily one," I smiled as she dabbed my eyes with the handkerchief.

"I shall get some parchment!" she dashed out of the room, leaving me on the sofa and Philip still cradling Faith against him. I could barely make out her eyes among the hair that had fallen around her face.

"I am sorry, Faith," I breathed.

Philip looked down at her then lifted her chin, "I will see about accommodations, will you be all right?" She nodded but still looked fragile.

I didn't want to stare so I looked towards the fire. I didn't know what else to say. Her voice wavered quietly, "You are certain that it's him . . . Isaac and not Thomas?"

"Yes," I took a deep breath, "I am."

"And Percival? What about him?" I was caught off guard and felt my eyes widen, "I know he's been to see you."

"He has. He has offered himself . . . but . . ."

"You cannot break him again, Margaret." I could hear the strength returning to her voice. "I don't think I could forgive you for that again."

"I understand," I felt heavy with that knowledge, "But I also know that it would not be fair to him or myself, if I have any lingering hope of Isaac."

Philip entered the room again, "Darling, your sister is having a room made up . . ."

Faith turned and smiled at him and then gave me a brief curtsey, "I think I shall be the one to lie down now." She was halfway to the room when she stopped and opened her reticule. "If you would be so good as to give this to Leah, I gave my word that it would be put in her hands." It was a small parcel wrapped in brown paper, it fit in my hand. I said nothing as Philip escorted Faith down the hall and to the stairs.