Chapter Two "Life After"

August melted into September and the days seemed longer than ever.  My niece Isabella was happy to have more of my attention but I could only play for so long before I needed another distraction.  Freddie offered painting lessons but I was happy with my sketching.  Painting would only remind me of Emily and all the times we sat together trying to capture a scene, her with a paintbrush and I would use my pencils.

            One day I overheard Freddie trying to convince his wife, Patience, to invent something to help cheer me.  Her reply was curt, "Marriage is a fact of life, she needs to realize that."  The words haunted me for days.  Why must we get married? I thought to myself as I lay in bed one evening.  Then it came to me that I was the last of our family and I had no prospects.  What would be my fate?  A spinster?  Isabella's governess?  My sleep was fitful that night.

            I did my best not to look forlorn and tried to take more enjoyment in my day to day life.  I happily accepted any offer to play when Isabella asked and I went through several sketchbooks drawing the different flowers in our garden.  I think I almost convinced myself that I was doing well until it was the eve of the fourth anniversary.  Four years from the day that we received news of our parents' ship being lost at sea.  Every year we set the table for our entire family and took our respective places as when we were all together.  Yes, over the years the company has become more sparse, but with only three of us at the table, it was shockingly depressing.  I barely said a word through the meal.

            "Darling," Freddie said as he finished his dessert, "what if we have your sister come for a visit?"

            "Hmmm," Patience thought for a moment, "I suppose I could write her tonight.  Any particular reason for this sudden delightful idea?"

            Freddie cleared his throat and I was sure that he nodded in my direction, "It might be nice to have some younger people around . . . "

            "For me you mean," I muttered as I stared at my trifle.

            "Well, you are close to the same age, are they not?" he asked looking across the table to his wife.

            "Yes," Patience replied.  I could hear it in her voice that she was not as keen on the idea as she was before realizing it was for my benefit.  "Faith just turned seventeen recently."

            "I think it would be a splendid idea," he smiled as he stood, "don't you?"  I shrugged and kept my eyes on my dessert.  I heard Patience drop her spoon hard against her tea cup and then she left the room.  "Yes," Freddie sighed, "perhaps Faith can bring some happiness with her into this house."

            It wasn't until the week of Isabella's birthday that Freddie breached the topic again, "Any word from your sister?" he asked Patience one night in the drawing room.

            "No, nothing yet," she said working her needlepoint steadily.

            "Hmm, I would have thought she'd love to visit," Freddie said taking a turn around the room.  He stopped at the picture window where I was sitting and when I glanced at him, he had a warm smile waiting.  "I think you and I should take Isabella into town tomorrow, Margaret.  It would do you both some good to go for a ride."  When I went to decline with a shake of my head he continued, "Actually that wasn't a request.  We will make a day of it."

            The next day Isabella was excitedly twirling in the hall waiting for me, "Come, Auntie Margaret, we got to town!"  She was so happy that she could barely get the words out as she took my hand.