Chapter Eighty-Seven For Leah's Birthday

I froze, it's her birthday? I had come to think of Leah as a staple of my life. In truth we had only known each other for eight months, but she fit in so completely that I could not help but think that she has always been with me . . . and always would be. I felt cross with myself for never asking her such a simple question, "Leah, when is your birthday?"

"November seventh," she smiled before lowering her face behind the pillow so only her brilliant eyes peeked out.

"That's just over a week away!" I jumped up with excitement, "And you're turning, fifteen, correct?" She nodded, I could see the color in her cheeks rise yet the smile was still there. "Well, I cannot offer you anything as grand as a sponsor at Court and a debut, but I can see to it that you have a wonderful party!"

"Oh, no, Margaret," she reached out for me as I began rummaging for a piece of spare parchment, "please, don't go to any trouble!"

I stopped and straightened myself before turning around slowly. I raised an eyebrow in true Freddie fashion, it must have startled her because she quieted and just stared at me. "It is my decision to make a little fuss or a lot of it because you are my dear friend! Besides if anyone deserves festivities, it's you."

"But, Margaret," she started, looking down at her bedding.

"I will hear no protests," I sat at her desk and began taking notes. Surely I must have learned something from Lady Edgehill by now. "Besides, I am sure we can all use some friendly distractions."

"But I . . ." her voice was quiet as she tried to find the right words, "I have not had a party in a very long time."

"Well, we all know whose fault that is," I said curtly as scribbled some more ideas, "But don't worry, I will take care of everything." Suddenly a thought occurred to me, "Unless you don't want a party?" I turned to her, still perched on her bed, "Is that it?"

She shyly eyed me as she traced the pattern of her spread, "I don't know. My family is gone and I don't know many people . . ."

I felt one of Charlotte's knowing smiles creep across my face as I moved to sit beside her, "You are part of my family now," I gently put my arm around her shoulders, "I promise to keep the guest list intimate and you have permission that if you ever feel overwhelmed, you may sneak away. How does that sound?"

She rested her head on my shoulder and I felt the gentle movement as she nodded. "Will Owen be there?"

I could not help but laugh, "Unless the Nassars see fit to leave before your party, I can guarantee that they will be there." She snuggled closer and gave me a hug. "So, what is your favorite dessert?"

*****

Over the next day or two I bustled through the house making use of everyone to help me plan Leah's party. Freddie agreed to find the musicians as well as send out a few invitations. Patience offered to do the decorations, and we agreed that they should be in moderation. I even got Faith and Philip to take Leah into town to see the seamstress for a special gown. That would allow me time to get everything perfect.

Since it would be a relatively small affair, I wanted it to be special in other ways. I roamed the kitchen often, spending time with Charlotte going over menu ideas. Mr. Nassar found us in the afternoon huddled over a cookbook, "Excuse me, ladies, but perhaps I could be of service?"

"Of course, Mr. Nassar," I smiled, "what do you propose?" I looked to Charlotte and noticed a bit of rosiness to her cheeks as she nodded her greeting.

"If you would like, I would be pleased to show your exceptional cook some delicacies from my land," he offered with a gracious bow. "That is if you think the young lady would like that. It could be part of my gift to her."

"Oh, that would be lovely," I agreed. I smiled to myself thinking of Leah and Owen discussing the different dishes. I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I almost missed seeing Mr. Nassar lean down to whisper something to Charlotte. After he had left, apparently to get his recipes, I turned to her without voicing my question.

"Don't look at me like that," she blushed, "that man has a wonderful palate." She wiped her hands on her apron and turned to the stove, giving her hair a quick run over with her hand when she thought I wasn't looking.

"I guess I will leave it to you two," I sighed dramatically, "I will check with you later though." As I started leaving the kitchen I felt something at my backside.

I turned to see Charlotte shaking her head; she had snapped her towel at me, "You jus' worry about the res' of the party. I'll make sure the food is beyond reproach." I smiled my sweetest smile and gave her an overly grand courtesy. "Oh you littl' . . ." she muttered as I quickly trotted down the hall.

*****

It was merely two days before the celebration when Owen found me in the library wrapping some presents for Leah. I was paying too much attention to fixing the ribbons to notice him linger in the doorway. He crept quietly into the room because it startled me when he cleared his throat from across the table. "Excuse me, Miss Woodbridge, but I-I hope that you can help me with something."

I sat up and nodded, still playing with the bows, "Of course, if I am able."

"It is about Miss Edgehill," he started, quickly looking away from me and focusing on his journal that remains with him always. "Well, about a present for her."

"I am sure she will love anything that comes from you," I grinned. Oh how I wished he would understand exactly what I meant. But he looked perplexed.

"But, I would like it to be special . . . I just have no ideas."

I stood up and took a breath as I moved around the desk. "Sometimes it is not the actual gift," I said handing him one of the adornments, "but the sentiment behind it." He stood there staring at satin ribbons tied perfectly into a bow. I patted his hand as I turned to leave, "I know you will think of something."