Chapter Forty-Nine "The Return of Miss Stanhope"

My eyes closed as a I let out a pained sigh, "What?" Thomas asked as he sat up, "what's wrong?"  He turned so he could see me.

            "Faith," I breathed, "I haven't had a chance to explain to her yet . . . "  I stood and tried quickly to fix my appearance, "and she saw us kissing."

            "What's so horrible about that?" he asked with a smirk, reaching out to take my hand.

            "Considering that she left to find Percival so that he and I . . . " my voice trailed as I noticed he understood, "and then I broke with him this morning . . . and we left before I could explain . . . "  I was starting to hyperventilate.

            "Go," he smiled encouragingly, "go to her and explain.  Make it right."

            I quickly ran to the doorway, only pausing for a moment to consider if I should have given him a peck, but Leah had taken my seat and was studying the bottle of perfume.  I smiled watching them for a second and then rushed into the hallway.  I thought I heard Leah's voice whisper something about kissing and as much as I'd like to hear that conversation, I needed to make Faith understand.

            The door to our room was open and when I entered I saw Faith feverishly packing things into her trunk, "What are you doing?" I asked lingering in the doorway.

            "I'm going home," she spat with a sniffle, not bothering to look my way.

            "Please, don't," I urged, moving to try to halt her packing, "Just let me explain . . . "

            "Explain?" she laughed callously, she turned to me and I could see hurt in her eyes, "Yes, try to explain how you went from being in love with my brother . . . "

            "I never said I was in love with him," I interjected, which was not the right thing to do, she glared at me fiercely.

            "There was something between you and Percival," she choked out, "and then Patience sold you, she sold you to the Edgehills!  I tried to rectify her vile decisions by bringing Percival back to you . . . and then you broke his heart." She fell onto the bed, tears flowing freely, "You broke his heart, Margaret.  How could you?"

            "I didn't mean to," I said quietly, "I never meant to hurt anyone . . . "

            "You hurt him and you hurt me by doing so," she sniffled. 

            I stood there feeling completely helpless because I know what she said was the truth.  I thought about reminding her that at one time she too urged me towards Thomas, but I thought better of that.  Once she knew about the cameo, she felt there was no other for me than Percival.  "I'm sorry," I whispered, "I know it will not repair anything, but I am sorry.  Hurting Percival is not what I wanted, but . . . " I took a shaky breath, "I have to follow my heart."

            Faith looked up at me, tears streaking her face, "Your heart?" she repeated, "You mean that you actually care for Thomas Edgehill?"  The way she said it I knew she could not believe the words.  "The same Thomas Edgehill that accosted you our first night here?" her voice rang with skepticism.

            "Yes," I started, "I mean no . . . "

            "Margaret, which is it?" she demanded.

            "I do care for Thomas . . . but not the one from that first night," I drew in a breath, "but the one after . . . the one that met us at the gallery . . . and in the park . . . the one that's in Leah's sanctuary right now."

            Faith sat quietly, "There's more than one?"

            "No," I laughed, "but he's different . . . when he's with me."  I pushed a stray hair away from my cheek and let my finger fall around my neck, remembering the feeling of his touch moments ago.  I gave myself a shake to bring me back to the present, "He was inebriated that night."

            "I know, I was there," Faith said moving to the dressing table to get some tissues.

            "But you were not here when he wasn't," I contested, "you have not seen him . . . well."

            "You act like his drinking is a sickness," Faith said looking at me through the mirror. as she dried her eyes.

            "Well, it is," I reasoned, "because he is quite a different person otherwise.  Warm, caring and attentive . . . "

            "Margaret, I haven't been gone that long," she let her chin fall in despair, "are you sure?"

            I knelt by her side, placing my hands over hers, "I am," I asserted lowly, "he is the one certainty."  Faith breathed out, her voice quavering.  "I hope that one day, you will be happy for me.  Despite every terrible thing that occurred,  I have found a reason to be happy."

            "Thomas?"

            "Yes," I tried to smile up at her, but her lip was trembling.  "He is . . . wonderful."

            "He must be," she sighed, dabbing her eyes again, "Because I could not stand it if my best friend was to marry a man not her equal in any way."

            I stayed there looking into her face a moment before it dawned on me what she said, "Does that mean that you forgive me?"

            "I'm trying," she said truthfully, "but I can see how much you care for him.  I only hope that he's worth it."

            I felt my face tighten as I smiled, "He is!  I hope to prove it to you as well."

            Faith took a deep breath, "So . . . what else has happened in my absence?"

            We spent the hours before supper talking of all that happened while she was away, most notable was the news regarding Patience and my introduction to one Philip Winchester.  At the drop of his name any pretentions to being upset with me melted away and instead of talking, it was more of a battering of questions.  I felt terrible for not having better answers for her and at the third time of explaining that it was merely an introduction and a dance that we shared, she finally seemed content that she learned all that I knew.

            The conversation during supper was interesting, to say the least.  It was obvious that everyone now knew that it was Faith's brother that had disturbed the ball, so there was an uncomfortable awkwardness as we all sat down.  The lady did welcome her back into their home, although there was something in her countenance that made me believe that Faith now had a strike against her.  I was glad that Patience was dining in her room otherwise she would have been a mess trying to make amends.  As it was, I felt bad enough for the scene, but I was just happy to have Faith with me again.