Chapter Ninety-Eight "He's Missed You"

Tears overwhelmed my eyes again and I began to sob uncontrollably. Aunt Cate held me against her and let me cry, "That's all right," she said, patting my hair as she rocked a little to and fro, "cry as much as you need."

"But I," I stammered between loud sobs, "I could have sworn I made sure not to bring anything!"

"Well," she sighed, "maybe there's still part of you waiting?"

I pulled away, "I've waited!" I shrieked. "For over four months! He left our engagement party! There's been no word!"

Aunt Cate sat up straight as if I had chastised her, "Didn't you say that his brother was trying to give you a message?"

"But . . ." I sniffled, "all he said was that it was his fault!"

"You don't know what he meant though," she handed me her handkerchief, "that could mean a great many things." Aunt Cate brushed the hair from my face, "I know Freddie wants to protect you, dear, but I think under the circumstances, he's done you a great disservice."

I sniffled again, dabbing my eyes, "I cannot blame him for any of this."

"I understand," she smiled and put her arm around my shoulders, "but he's also made it no secret that he thinks Percival is the better choice."

I looked at her cautiously. Could she really think that Freddie would do anything to deliberately sway me like that? I shook my head, "But he taught Isaac my birdcall! That was him giving approval!"

"I know, but that was before he ran off . . ."

"No!" I stood up again, "no, no, no!" I walked to the windows and watched the snow fall in the moonlight. "He would never . . ."

Aunt Cate got up slowly, "I'm sorry, I should not have said anything. I'll have Dorthea bring up some supper for you."

I turned to watch her leave my room, tears streaming down my cheeks, "Freddie would never do that to me."

"Of course not," she said apologetically, "I'm sorry to have thought anything of the like." I tried to keep my mouth from trembling, to stand there like I was in some sort of control before she left. "But I do think that it is very obvious of where your heart lies."

I looked at the necklace lying across the journal. My shoulders shook as I fell against the bed, whimpering into a pillow as I clutched my violet. I barely heard her tentative steps, "I am sorry, sweetheart. But it is best to be true to your heart."

I buried my face and stifled the screaming, "Just go! Please just leave me be!" I didn't fight any of the emotions that crashed over me. I just let them come, wave after wave until I fell asleep.

When I awoke there was a small tray sitting on my table with a teapot and a plate of scones. There was a card underneath the plate expressing more apologies and explaining that I did not need to join them unless I so wanted. I shook my head as I set it down, "It's probably best if stay away from everyone . . . at least until Percival . . .," I looked at my hand; I was still holding the token. I let out a frustrated sigh and then opened the drawer of the nightstand, stashing the necklace under whatever was inside. "I can't . . . I can't keep going through this."

For the next few days I avoided everyone, even Jasper. I knew that he was content staying alongside Lady, as Dorthea gave me reports whenever I asked, but I was not sure if I could be able to keep calm if he conjured any memories. In the emotional state that I was, I was positive that it would happen. So I decided to not risk it.

Staying in my room with limited things of my own proved tiresome, but I managed as I'd ask for a book or some parchment now and then. I wrote a few letters that I would never send, mostly just to clear my head. I wrote to Leah several times. I wrote to Freddie once. I tried to write to Percival but I found that I had nothing to say, not even a response to all of his correspondence. For that I felt guilty. On the day that I decided to try to write a farewell to Isaac, Uncle Arthur and Aunt Cate knocked on my door.

"We will be leaving shortly," Uncle Arthur said, "it's nothing special, just to pick up some orders before the holidays." I nodded and kept from looking at Aunt Cate. "We should be back in time for supper, but if you need anything, just ring for Dorthea."

"I will," I nodded curtly.

"Well then," he tried to smile as he rubbed his hands together, "we shall see you later." He turned to leave and I caught a glimpse of Aunt Cate's eyes, full of concern. It looked as if she wanted to say something, but she didn't. "Come along, Cate."

I nodded to her, happy that no words were said, and was about to close my door again, "Oh yes, Margaret?" Uncle Arthur called from the stairs.

"Yes?"

"A package arrived for you just a bit ago, it's in the library," he said as he put on his hat. "I believe it's from Somerset."

"Thank you, Uncle," I nodded and as they descended the stairs I saw Jasper running towards me, barking happily.

"He's missed you," Aunt Cate said as she turned to follow her husband. I looked after her but she did not turn back.

I had to smile when I saw Jasper running towards me with so much excitement. I scooped him up and nuzzled his coat, "I'm sorry I've been off." He nipped at my chin affectionately and tried to kiss me but with all of his wriggling, I could barely keep him in my arms. "Jasper!" I giggled as he tumbled to the floor and ran to the door, pawing at it.

The pup continued pawing and barking, "Would you like to go for a walk?" He twirled about in a circle and barked twice. "I shall take that as a yes." I looked in the mirror and shook my head, "Well, since no one will be home . . . it does not matter much."

I opened the door and Jasper took off down the stairs at full speed. I stopped at the window at the top of the stairs and watched as the carriage made its way down the long drive. I heard more excited barks coming from the foyer, "I'm coming, Jasper!" I called.

He continued barking and twirling as I stopped to grab my coat and bonnet, "Yes, yes, I'm coming," I laughed at him. "Let's get your lead!" With that Jasper ran down the hall and towards the library.

I looked for him but saw no ears or tail, "Jasper?" I called. "We need to go through the kitchen, silly pup." I heard no more barking or scurrying paws. I had not left my room since I first got here, so I slowly made my way down the main hall, looking in each room for Jasper. Maybe he slid into something or got trapped.

"Jasper, where are you?" I pleaded. As I neared the end of the hallway, I heard two barks and saw him scurry across the library doorway. "Oh, get back here!"

He was sitting underneath the table, tail wagging. I dropped my coat over the chair as I leaned down to try to reach him, but he pulled away. "Fine, if you don't want to go for a walk, I will . . ." I stammered looking around the room. Then I saw the parcel sitting on my uncle's desk, "I will see what Freddie's sent."

I looked about but Jasper was still playing game, "If it's anything from Charlotte, I won't share," I teased. I heard him bark from another room, "Silly dog," I sighed.

I opened the box carefully and pulled back the cloth, I froze at what I saw. I reluctantly let my fingers trace of the title, Faerie Tales for Children. I pulled my hand back, I had to be dreaming. "It can't be . . .," I swallowed, reaching out to open the cover. I felt my heart pang against my chest as I read the names of the Edgehill children listed inside.

"Thus, by Violet's magic power . . ." I closed my eyes when I heard his voice, balled my hands into fists so they would stop shaking, "All dark shadows passed away . . ."

"No," I cried, "This is too cruel." I could not make myself turn around.

"Margaret," his voice remained steady, "My Margaret?" I clutched the edge of the desk to keep myself stable.

It wasn't until I heard Jasper bark again that I had to turn, he sounded as if he was right at my back. I shook my head, "Can't you just leave me alone?" I sobbed.

"How could I?" he tried to smile carefully, gauging my replies.

"Thomas, this isn't funny!" I screamed crumbling to the floor.

"Oh, no!" he gasped, "Margaret, it's me . . . I'm Isaac!" he said gently lowering himself to the floor in front of me. Jasper jumped from his arm and into my lap, wagging is tail slightly as he pushed against my chin. "Here, look!" I backed against the desk as he rolled up his sleeve, just wanting to get further from whatever curse this was. But there, right before my eyes was the scar running along his forearm. "I swear, it's me."