Chapter Eighty-Nine "Readying Leah"

The morning of Leah's birthday party went by frantically as I rushed here and there trying to make sure everything was just right. I left Leah to her room to enjoy a leisurely breakfast as her mother had done for me on the day of my debut. I was sure that Lady Edgehill was nothing but calm and commanding as she prepared for that party, but this was my first and I wanted it to be perfect.

I was on my third round of running from room to room when Patience, Faith and Charlotte intercepted me. "Margaret, you have to stop," Faith said taking my arm gently, "you're going to fall down before the first guests get here."

I looked at the clock and sure enough our first guests would be arriving soon. True it was only Arthur and Lucy, but they were the beginning. "I can't," I tried pulling myself free, "You're right the guests will be arriving shortly and I haven't changed!"

As I escaped Faith, I nearly walked into Patience who put her hands on my shoulders and slowly backed me to a chair and urged me to sit, "Margaret, everything is fine and under control," she soothed as Charlotte brought me a cup of tea. "You need to stop and drink this, then, you're to go get dressed and help Leah get ready."

"But the guests . . .," I began only to have Charlotte give me a look to start sipping my tea.

"Freddie and I will greet the first arrivals," Patience nodded.

"Mr. Nassar and I have the kitchen under control and will be presenting the trays at the appointed time," Charlotte nodded, a happy smile on her face once I had some tea.

"I still need to make sure everything is right," I shook my head.

"Like what?" Faith asked sitting on the arm of my chair.

"Um, the decorations, the gifts . . .," I started rambling off anything that came to mind.

"Philip and I can do that," she waived her hand as if it were a wish granted.

"There needs to be enough chairs for anyone who wishes to sit out . . .," I continued.

"Then we will have Owen help Philip," Patience smiled with assurance. "Your duty now is to get yourself ready and then make sure Leah is as well."

I looked around the room as I sipped my tea again, sure enough everything looked in order and even Patience and Faith were dressed for the festivities already. As I set down my teacup I could feel three sets of eyes waiting for my answer, "I concede that you're correct." There was an audible sigh of relief as all three ladies relaxed a bit when I stood and moved towards the stairs. "Thank you, all of you," I smiled.

"Go," Patience shooed me as headed towards Freddie's study. I took a deep breath as I climbed the stairs, I have done all I can and now it's time to dress and check on Leah.

As I dressed I remembered getting ready for my debut, I had two ladies' maids helping me and then Lady Edgehill came in as well. At that time I felt partly like a doll and partly like a fairy princess, it was almost like a dream that night. But now it felt so long ago . . . and here I was bringing Leah into Society only a few months later.

I checked my reflection as Clara fixed my hair; I tucked my violet token into my bodice and then pinched my cheeks and smiled, "Leah will have a lovely time tonight."

I knocked gently at Leah's door, "May I enter?"

I heard some giggling and rustling before Leah's quiet reply of "Please do, Margaret." I'm not sure why but I took a deep breath as I turned the knob and opened the door cautiously. I was not prepared for the vision of loveliness before me as I came to a halt just over the threshold. My surprise must have been obvious as Leah raised her eyebrows and held out her gown a bit, "Well, what do you think?"

I have always thought Leah to be a beauty and it had been a privilege to see her grow more and more from the timid child I met in London into the young woman that I saw before me now. She stood tall and graceful in a delicate pink satin gown, her rosy blonde locks barely contained by a lace ribbon that led to her bountiful curls piled at the back of her head, some draping along her neck. "You are truly lovely," I managed finally.

Leah let out a giddy breath when she smiled and she turned before me, "Do you like my dress?"

I nodded as I took in the details as she pranced a bit in front of me. There was a coy white lace along the neckline; that was the extent of decoration on the bodice aside from the puffed sleeves that began just off of her shoulders. At first I thought it was a rather simple dress, especially comparing it to what her mother had picked for me, but then I noticed the elegant embroidery on the skirt. It began at a pyramid point just under the knees and then it flourished out, hundreds of dainty flowers that ran all the way to the hem, only to disappear as they led to the train where the satin took on a ruffle. "You picked this out yourself?" I gaped.

"Well, one time you did say I would look lovely in pink..." her cheeks glowed as she looked up at me, "so you did help."

"And I must say that I was quite right," I giggled with her as I gently gave her a hug, "wait to Owen sees you!"

Leah's cheeks flushed a bit more and she turned to the mirror, "I do wish my family . . ." her voice trailed a bit, "well, my family before, could see me know."

I moved to stand behind her and faced her in the mirror, "I believe they all would be very proud of you," I smiled at her reflection, "Well, maybe not your father as he still calls you his little Leah." We both laughed for a moment, "He'd be in shock."

There was a knock at the door, "M-Miss Edgehill?" Owen called, his voice barely audible, "Are you ready?"

"That must mean that the guests have arrived," I turned her to me and gave her another look. I felt so happy to see her smile at me excitedly, "Give me a few minutes to go down and greet everyone, then you and Owen stop at the stairs to be announced. If you get uneasy, look for me and remember, you're allowed to escape a bit if it gets too much. But the guests are mainly family and friends . . . just here to wish you well." She nodded once and took another breath, "I'm going to let Owen in now, is that all right?" She nodded again, looking timidly at the door, waiting for his reaction.

I opened the door slowly, greeting Owen with a warm smile, "Oh you wonderful man," I gently touched his arm, "you needed no help in a gift," I whispered before standing aside so he could see her. "You will be the envy of every young man tonight," I said as I gestured my hand into the room, towards Leah, "as you will be the first to have her on your arm."

The silence was heavy as he stood there and stared for a moment. He hardly blinked until I cleared my throat, "Wait a few minutes before you make your entrance."

Owen turned to me, blinking fast and clearing his throat, "O-of course, Miss Woodbridge." As I made my way to the stairs slowly, I heard him speak again but all that I heard clearly was "Happy Birthday, Miss Edgehill."