Chapter Forty-Two "Dreams and Breakfast"

Sleep did not come easily as I lay there thinking about how I was going to explain everything to Faith . . . and Percival. Sweet Percival did not deserve this, I thought as I finally drifted into the oblivion of sleep. Again was I descending the stairs on Freddie's arm towards a crowd of faces, faces I did not know.

            As we reached the bottom my lovely green dress changed into a simple white one and Clara was before me with a tray. "Which will you choose?" she asked and I looked down to find the blue cameo from Percival sitting beside the violet token from Thomas. I looked up to see Lady Edgehill and Patience staring at me before they turned and literally melted into the crowd.

            "May I have this dance?" Freddie asked and I was thankful that he was taking me from the decision. The music began and we spun and twirled about the room, the faces all beginning to run together as we went faster.

            "Stop," I cried, "I can't!"

            Then I heard "No" echo and Freddie had turned into Percival, "What of your future, Margaret?" he asked.

            "I can't think," I cried again and the music moved even faster as did our dancing, "I don't know . . . "

            We kept twirling and I felt so sick that I closed my eyes tightly when I heard, "My Margaret" whispered into my ear. I opened my eyes and now Thomas held me against him, "No price is too high for this honor," he pressed his lips to my temple and the music quieted instantly. We were suddenly standing in darkness, faced with ourselves . . . "a family portrait," he smiled. Then he turned to me and with a tender touch to my cheek he brought his lips to mine. As I went to put my arms about him, he fell to pieces . . . not just pieces but a pile of violets. I fell to my knees and tried to gather all of the tiny flowers but they kept slipping through of my grasp. When the last flower fell from my hands I woke up breathless and my hands were empty.

            I sat up and sipped the water that sat on my nightstand, trying to calm my nerves and my stomach. My room was still dark but I saw lightness from the window. I had no wish to fall into disruptive dreams again so I got up and began to ready myself for the day. Clara was surprised to see me up and at my dressing table so early, "You're up early, Miss Woodbridge, I would've thought after the ball that you would want some extra sleep."

            "Sleep did not agree with me," I explained as I held up the violet token to her so she could help me put it on.

            "Perhaps there was too much excitement?" she smiled, "Oh that is lovely, isn't it?" I looked into my mirror at the pendant and noticed that the purple flower seemed to bring out the green in my eyes a bit more. "I'll get your white dress, Miss," Clara said as she went to my wardrobe. "I thought you said you didn't have a purple sash?" she asked as she brought back my dress with a lovely purple sash hanging over it.

            "I guess I forgot?" I offered, meanwhile making a mental note to thank Leah when I saw her. The simplicity of the white dress with the sash made a perfect coupling for my violet piece, I hoped that Thomas would approve. I left as Clara began tidying my bed.

            Lord Edgehill was just sitting down when I entered the dining room, "Good morning," I smiled.

            "What a pleasant surprise," he nodded, "I wasn't expecting to see either of you until this afternoon at least." I turned to see who else he was talking to only to find Thomas right behind me.

            His eyes met mine and then I watched as they made their way to the pendant, there was almost a dancing of happiness in them and he reached for my hand and brought it to his lips, "Thank you, Poppet," he whispered. I saw his eyes dart to his father, "Good morning," he said in his normal voice as he pulled a chair out for me. Thomas sat beside me and gave a lifted eyebrow to his father who only shrugged a bit before he dug into breakfast. I had a feeling that things were much more at ease with his father.

            "So what do you two have planned today?" Lord Edgehill asked as he cracked his egg with the spoon.

            "I shall be calling on friends with my brother," I said quietly as Mrs. Merryweather brought out plates to us. Thomas hesitated to answer while he looked at me, I could feel his eyes searching for some sort of answer to a question that had not been asked.

            "And you?" Lord Edgehill asked again when he did not get anything from Thomas.

            "Oh, um . . . I have business in town today," he answered as he turned his plate this way and that before deciding what pleased him.

            "Business? After the ball?" Lord Edgehill said doubting, "Come now, Thomas, that hardly seems true."

            "Will you be away long?" I asked quietly since he was sitting beside me.

            "Well, Father, it is true . . . I am expected this afternoon," Thomas said as he played with his French toast. When he did not answer my question I set my utensils down and let my hands sit in my lap. "I will be away a day or two, it depends if we find what we need."

            "We?" Lord Edgehill seemed to be quite well-versed in one word speaking.

            "Yes, Father, we. I am meeting a friend," he checked his pocket watch, "and I might be able to catch him early if I make haste." He pushed his plate forward as he stood. I struggled to find words, how was it that he was leaving on what might be one of the most difficult days of my life. "As for you," he leaned down beside me and spoke in my ear, "my Margaret, expect a parcel later today . . . and any time that I might think of you." He left a soft kiss just in front of my ear as he stood again, "I shall return as soon as possible," he smiled at me and then his father, "Do be sure to look after her, won't you, Father?"

            Lord Edgehill's mouth became a funny smirk as he sipped his tea, "You have my word, son." Then he shooed him off as he went back to his breakfast. "Well, you heard that, Miss Woodbridge, I am at your service until my son returns. Is there anything I can do for you?"

            "No, Lord Edgehill," I smiled as I ate some of the berries from my plate, "but thank you. Do you have any plans for the day?"

            "Aye," he smiled, "I am bringing my new hunting companion home today!"

            "Companion?" I asked unsure of what he meant.

            "Well to Lady Edgehill, she will be nothing but a dog, but to me, she will be a fine companion. Do you like dogs, Miss Woodbridge?" he leaned back in his chair.

            "I am very fond of dogs although I have not had one in a great many years," I answered with a wry smile.

            "Is that so?" he folded his arms and watched me, "Why?"

            "Patience, my sister-in-law, she does not care for dogs," I replied and remembered a similar conversation not so long ago.

            "Well that's absurd, a good dog is like a good friend!" he sounded incredulous "Then might I extend the invitation to accompany me to pick up my girl? You are more than welcome to come . . . and Seamus has many dogs that you might visit while we finish our transaction."

            "I would like that very much, Lord Edgehill," I nodded, "but I do need to pay a call on my friends today."

            "Of course, of course," he grinned, "I won't be going until this afternoon. So if you are free and inclined to join me, I would be happy to have your company."

            "Thank you, Lord Edgehill."

            "Lord Edgehill," he rolled his eyes, "I'd much rather have you call me Gideon but I'm sure my wife would die of horror. She does so love her title." I tried not to laugh but he made it so easy. "We'll just keep that between us, eh?"

            "Yes," I managed as I left the table, "I do hope to go with you today."

            "Me too." He nodded as I left and went back to his paper. I decided my initial thoughts of Lord Edgehill were still good, although the more I got to know him, the happier I was that I was afforded this chance. I looked forward to the chance to talk to Thomas about his family, especially his father and Leah.  There's nothing like having a strong sense of family, something I have relied on with my brothers, and something I could easily see having with the Edgehills.