Chapter Sixty-Seven "Leaving London"

Morning came early with Leah gently jostling me, "Margaret," she whispered, "please wake up."  When my eyes opened the room was only beginning to brighten with the sun and it took a moment for me to focus on her.  "Margaret," she repeated, "we need to get ready, Papa's already here."

            "What?" I asked sitting up quickly, "He's here already?"  I tumbled out of bed and grabbed my dress.

            "He woke me and told me to get ready a few moments ago," she sounded apologetic, "my trunk has already been taken . . . "

            I frantically looked around my room, trying to make sure I had everything of importance packed, "He is a man on a mission," I said, "we must not hinder him."

            Once I was dressed we headed down the stairs, finding Lord Edgehill directing two men on what items to take, "Papa!" Leah gasped when they took her father's desk out the front door, "What's happening?"

            "Mrs. Merryweather is putting together a basket for us to take, get Alice's things and don't forget Jasper either!" he directed as he went through some books and started shoving them into a bag.

            "Gideon?" at first her voice was barely noticeable but it grew louder when no one responded and soon the lady was on the stairs, still in her nightclothes with her hair flowing down, "Gideon, are you back?"

            "For the moment," he said without looking up at her, "you will receive directions on what else I will need sent home . . . "

            "What are you talking about?" she tried to smile but the reality was too much for her to disguise, "Gideon, what's happening?"

            "I'm taking Margaret back to Somerset," he said slamming a book closed on the table, "Leah's coming too.  Once I find my son, the three of us will return to Sussex . . . "

            "Three?" the lady could hardly control her breathing as she fought against the tears that were falling, "But there's five of us . . . there always has . . . " she did not finish the sentence.

            "No, there hasn't been five of us in a long time, Victoria.  Leah, Isaac and I will remain in Brighton.  You and Thomas can stay here . . . I will not intrude."

            "No, Gideon, please?" she crumbled onto the stairs, gripping the banister as she sobbed, "You can't do this to me!"

            "Girls, go outside," Lord Edgehill instructed.  We walked slowly, each of us carrying one of the puppies.  "Actually, Victoria, I consider this a rather lenient punishment for what you've done.  You still have your name and this house . . . for now."  That was the last we heard as we reached the carriage.

            Lord Edgehill came out a short time later, carrying a large basket and the bag he was packing with books earlier.  He nodded to the stewards as they put my trunk on top of Leah's and passed the basket to us, "Just let me give the movers instructions and we'll be on our way."

            "Movers?" Leah sniffled and moved to the window, she looked towards the house, "He's really leaving Mama here?"  Tears were rolling down her cheeks, "What have I done?"

            "Nothing Leah," I whispered as I wrapped my arms around her, "none of this is your fault!"

            "If I had told Papa before . . . about Isaac . . . maybe . . . " she could barely string the words together as she cried.

            "Shush now," I said holding her against me, letting her cry into my shoulder, "All of this was written long ago . . . from the time she sent your brother away . . . it's none of your fault."

            Lord Edgehill joined us inside the carriage, once he took his seat he reached out to his daughter, "I'm so sorry Leah," he breathed as she continued to sob into his jacket, "I know this is difficult for you to understand . . . but it's necessary," he tried to inhale but it caught in his throat, "at least for now, I need to sort things . . . I need to find Isaac and then, I don't know."  He knocked on the roof of our compartment and the carriage lurched to life.  Leah moved to the window to look out again, I can only imagine to try to see her mother.  I did not catch a glimpse of the lady, but then my attention was on Leah.

* * * * *

            It took three days to reach London when I travelled there with Patience, Percival and Faith.  We returned to Somerset in two.  Lord Edgehill took very few stops, mostly to change horses and procure food, other than that we slept in the carriage.

            Although the ride was comparatively short, the lack of talking made it seem much longer.  I could not bring myself to try to start a conversation, not with knowing what they had gone through recently.  I had no idea what thoughts plagued their minds, but they both looked forlorn and lost.

* * * * *

            Once we crossed into Bristol I felt a surge of happiness, I was almost home.  The countryside looked immensely different from the last time I had passed through, although it was five months ago.  The snow had given way to rolling green hills and sweet smelling breezes.  Memories of summers spent playing around our grounds remerged, happy times of hiding in the tree house and sneaking off to the beach for a walk filled my mind.  I wanted to share them with Leah, to give her an idea of what fun we could have, but one look told me she was not ready to be coaxed from her thoughts.

            I anxiously looked for my childhood home and when it came into view, it was just as splendid as I had always thought it was.  It stood against the darkening sky welcoming me back.  The large front windows were aglow and I imagined Freddie was sitting inside reading while Isabella played at his feet.  I could envision their happy faces as I crossed the threshold and the way their hugs would feel.  Patience would be taken to bed, of course, but perhaps even she would be happy to see me again.