Chapter Twenty-Two "Missing Letters and Finding Violets"

When I finally stirred from my nap it was dark outside and the glow from our fireplace was dwindling, I must have been asleep for hours. I changed into something suitable for dinner and went to take my letter downstairs but it was not on the desk. I was sure I had left it there. I began searching frantically all around but no letter. I returned to my bedside to see if I had left it on my nightstand, but still no letter. I collected myself and went down to see if maybe Faith saw it, but she was nowhere to be found. In fact the only person I did see was Lady Edgehill, "Good evening, Miss Woodbridge," she smiled from her embroidery, "are you feeling better now?"

            "A bit," I tried to smile with my curtsey but I was too distracted wondering where my letter had gotten to, "Have you seen Miss Stanhope?"

            "Yes, after dinner she and Mrs. Woodbridge retired to her quarters. I have not seen them since,"

            "After dinner?" I did not to think to look for the time, "I did not realize I slept so long."

            "Leah said that you looked a bit ill, so we let you rest," she set her work down and looked at me carefully, "You do look a bit flushed. I can have Clara bring you some dinner . . . perhaps some soup?"

            "Thank you," I smiled, "that would be very nice." I looked around a bit more, "Is Mr. Edgehill at home?"

            A smile crept across her face, "No, he has not been home this evening."

            "And Miss Edgehill?" I inquired.

            "Leah flitted away after dinner, I have not seen her either. If you care for company, you may join me," she gestured to the seat beside her.

            "Thank you, Lady Edgehill," I curtsied yet again, "but perhaps I should lay down so I am well for tomorrow's excursion to the park."

            "Very well, I will send Clara up momentarily," she watched as I returned to the hall and climbed the stairs. With everyone whom I wish to see being gone or otherwise engaged, I felt very lonely. It was not a feeling that I cared for. Even being the youngest of four children, I had never felt alone that much. The one time I could equate to this feeling was the day Jonathon and Emily left on their honeymoon, I miss them both terribly. Tonight feels the same.

            I spent the remainder of the evening in my room, mostly pacing, waiting for Faith to return. Clara brought me some soup and I did my best to eat but with my mind whirling, I could not be settled long enough to eat it all. When I had heard a door close, I checked the hall, but saw no one. After an hour I decided to try Leah's room but when I knocked there was no answer. I did not wish to be among the company of the Edgehills, or Patience for that matter, but I desperately needed some companionship.

            I thought to try Leah's sanctuary in the Practice Hall. I made my way as quietly as I could, being very aware if I heard any noises of others about so I could try to duck in somewhere and stay out of sight. All was quiet until I reached the hall that led me to the old fencing room, I heard whispers in one of the rooms but as I neared it the floor creaked and suddenly it was silent again. I thought better about knocking and instead continued to the next door. I rapped lightly, "Leah?" I whispered against the wood as I turned the knob. When I entered there was a soft glow from candles placed around the room, "Leah?" I called again. There was a bang in the hallway that made me jump and when I spun around again, Leah stepped out from behind her easel.

            "Margaret, I did not expect you here," Leah said calmly.

            "I'm sorry . . . but I needed companionship . . . " I started, "I needed a friend." Leah smiled and started to make her way towards me but not before she draped a cloth over her canvas, "I didn't mean to interrupt, what are you painting?" I said as I began to step closer.

            "It's not ready," she said shakily moving to cover it more rapidly. My face flushed realizing she didn't want me to see it and I stopped and looked away. She noticed my change in demeanor, "But . . . if you really want to see it," she said as she held her hand out to me.

            "I would love to," I smiled and took her hand as I moved to stand and admire her work. "Oh, Leah, it's wonderful," I breathed. She was in the process of painting a delicate bunch of violets. "I thought Thomas said that you do not practice . . . "

            "I don't, well, not that often," she smiled, "but my new colors were begging to be used." She nodded at the small palette that sat at her side with fresh tubes of new paint. I smiled warmly to myself remembering that Thomas said that he was getting her new paints. "Why are you smiling like that?" she asked me.

            "Just that your brother told me that he could not prove that he indeed was getting you new paints," I moved towards one of the candles, "wait, is Thomas home now?" I asked suddenly very curious.

            "No, he has not been home . . . "

            "Then how did you get the paints?" I asked as I turned to face her.

            "I mean that he is not home currently, he did stop by briefly when you were resting," she answered as she tidied her supplies for the night, "He did not stay."

            "Oh," I sighed. "I should let you get back to your practice," I smiled.

            "But I thought you wanted a friend," Leah asked puzzled.

            "You have indeed been one to me tonight," I nodded, "thank you for showing me your talent."

            "But Margaret . . . "

            "Leah, it would please me even more if you continued your painting," I watched as her eyes looked over the canvas, "and that I could have it when you finished."

            Her face was the brightest I had seen it yet, she nodded excitedly, "Of course!" I turned to leave and she called out, "You do not have to leave, Margaret. I would greatly appreciate your company."

            "Perhaps another time, Leah," I offered, "I would not be good company tonight. I shall go back to my room and rest."

            "Until tomorrow then," she curtsied and went back to her painting. I stopped in front of the next door again and listened. Still no sounds, so I continued back to my room, hoping that Faith would be there.

            Clearly Clara had visited as our fire was crackling anew and the remnants of my soup were gone. I changed into my nightgown and took down my hair before heading to bed. As I neared my side I felt a cold draft so I went to the window. It was left open but a crack, perhaps by Faith or Clara, so I closed it tight and that's when I noticed the dainty bunch of violets sitting on the sill. They were tied with ribbon and alongside a paintbrush. I could not help the smile that crossed my face.