Chapter Nineteen "The Contract"

Thursday morning came with a surprise as I was asked to come down alone. I was led to the dining room where Lady Edgehill was having her breakfast, "Good morning, Miss Woodbridge." I curtsied but said nothing. "Please sit beside me," she offered the chair next to her and quickly the steward set a place for me including a glass of juice. "I would like to speak with you regarding last night . . . "

            "I apologize for my outburst," I broke in immediately, "I should be ashamed for . . . "

            "Oh my dear, no," she rested her hand on mine, "I should be the one apologizing for my son's behavior."

            "But Lady Edgehill . . . "

            "No, Miss Woodbridge, hear me out," she pushed her plate away from her and turned towards me, "my son has been treading an unsavory path as of late and I admit that I have been trying to draw his attention with promising young ladies. My hope was that he would be so taken with one that he would turn a new leaf and become the man I know him to be. It has not worked as of yet, but I keep trying. When you and Miss Stanhope arrived, I saw something in the two of you. She has drive, yet not that of a fortune hunter, she is after something more precious. I can see it in her eyes, unlike her sister."

            "But . . . "

            "I am sure Mrs. Woodbridge has many things in her favor, but I know what brings her here," I nodded and let her continue, "And you, Miss Woodbridge, there is depth to you and freshness that I have not seen in many young ladies. You are not here with any assumptions or plans . . . and I appreciate that. Of course it does not hurt that you and your companion are charming beyond words." I looked away and smiled remembering what she said the day before about her compliments. "Of course since our family is one of rank, it is only natural that our son is married to a young lady of Society, so there is my reason for making sure you have a debut, although why your sister did not do it herself is beyond me."

            "So it is true . . . you hope that Thomas and I will form an attachment?"

            "That would be helpful, but it is not necessary," she said sipping her tea, "for your sister and I have already discussed the matter," with those words Patience entered the dining room and sat across from me. "By the end of the Season you and Thomas will be engaged." I felt my mouth open but no words, no sounds were omitted.

            "Please, Margaret," Patience tried to endear herself to me, "it is a very good match and I myself saw the way you looked at him when you first met."

            "But you saw him last night!"

            "We will reign . . . " Lady Edgehill started.

            "How?" I interrupted, "when not even losing his inheritance has caused him to flinch?"

            "Ah, I see you have been speaking with Leah," the lady rang a bell and the steward started to clear the table, "It makes no difference, it has been settled. I hope that you make the best of this, Margaret. Thomas will become Lord Edgehill one day. You will be a lady and enjoy all of the perks the title allows."

            "Patience?" I pleaded.

            "It is a very good situation, Margaret. You are getting a handsome and titled husband handed to you. You should be very happy."

            "It is obvious that my happiness has not been thought of in the slightest! You both get what you want and I am to smile and make it so!"

            "That is correct," Lady Edgehill breathed. "I am sorry that you are not taking the news as well as we had hoped, but it is as it is. You are excused." The steward quickly moved to the door and opened it. I felt disgust fill my body as the two women that just decided my fate sat there and finished their tea. As I entered the hall the only thing I could think of would be to write to Freddie. If anyone could come to my rescue and change Patience's mind, it would have to be him.

            I headed towards the stairs where Leah was waiting, "Margaret?"

            "Not now, Leah, I must write to my brother . . . "

            "It will do no good," she said softly.

            "What do you know?"

            "That you are to be my sister," she looked apologetic, "and that a contract has been signed. It is binding."

            "What contract?" I asked, fear taking a new hold on me.

            "My parents drew up a contract that Mrs. Woodbridge signed saying that you will indeed marry Thomas and she is to receive certain allowances."

            "I have been sold?" I felt my legs give out and I was suddenly sitting on the stairs. "It is worse than I could have imagined."

            "Aside that it is Thomas, with his current disposition, I am happy," she sat next to me and reached for my hand, "I think I would very much like to have you as a sister." I tried to smile for her but all I could feel was despair. I had been sold, or at least traded, like a possession for a higher station in Society. I would have to succumb or find a way out. The weight of the world was falling on me and I would soon be crushed. "There is not much we can do right now, so will you not accompany me to the gallery?"

            "I'm sorry?" I knew she had asked me a question, but I had not heard it.

            "Would you like to come with me to the art gallery? At the very least it might take your mind off of this morning's news." I found myself nodding without comprehending. It wasn't until we arrived in the grand foyer that I had even noticed we had left the house.