Chapter Seventy "An Unexpected Arrival"

Freddie escorted me from their bedroom so Patience and Oliver could rest, "How did you not tell me immediately?" I scolded him as soon as the door was closed.

            "With everything that Lord Edgehill apprised me of, this could wait," he mused, "But he's a fine boy, isn't he?"

            "Beautiful, Freddie," I beamed, "Oliver is absolutely beautiful!"  He took out a handkerchief and wiped his face a bit, "Are you crying?"

            "No," he chuckled, "well, maybe a little."  I could not help wrapping my arms around him.  "Have you seen how happy Patience is?"

            "I have," I nodded, remembering how she was even happy to see me and did not ask once about what happened with the Edgehills.

            "I think Oliver is the miracle I've been waiting for, Magpie.  I think he's going to be the key to getting my Patience back." 

            I smiled and hugged him again, "I really do hope so."  If anyone deserved to be happy, it was Freddie.  That night I wished with all my heart that he would get what he so longed for.

* * * * *

            After we talked a bit more I went to check on Leah.  She declined my invitation to meet Isabella and instead stayed in her room.  I promised to return before supper.  Freddie then showed me his stash of dolls from London and I selected a very pretty one that would be my gift to my niece.  Isabella was happier to see me than to receive the doll and I felt a bit foolish for making a stink over not having picked one up on my own.  Once she had her fill of hugs, she cordially invited us to tea.  I enjoyed the afternoon and it was the finest tea I had in several months.

* * * * *

            The rest of the week was pretty much the same, Leah remained distant and stayed in her room for the most part.  She did manage to come to at least one meal a day and she assured me that she was fine, she just needed to be with her thoughts for awhile.  Freddie reminded me not to pry and I did my best.

            Patience emerged from her bedroom now and then, bringing sweet Oliver with her.  I think my happiest day was when she and Freddie sat with Isabella between them and they let her hold her brother.  Their smiles could not be matched and the look of astonishment on Isabella's face when her new brother looked up at her and smiled was priceless.  I found myself standing back and just watching the lovely family picture when my mind wandered to words said not very long ago.  I excused myself and found Jasper in the kitchen.  I scooped him up and made my way to the gardens.  I needed some time to collect my own thoughts before I began crying again.

* * * * *

            I had not been home for an entire week yet when I was met with a most unexpected surprise.  Freddie and Patience were taking the children for a stroll around the grounds since it was a pleasant afternoon and Leah, who had spent most of the morning by my side, had excused herself to do some letter writing.  That left me to find my own amusement.

            Freddie had been good enough to locate a volume of the children's fairy tale book that the Edgehills had for me.  It arrived that morning, so I stole away to the library with it, needing to feel a reconnection to the part of me that felt lost.  Little Violet was on her way to the Frost King when a voice broke my concentration, "Your fondness for books still causes me envy. "

            I froze momentarily.  I knew that voice; it was one I had been terribly fond of, "Percival?" I started as I looked up and caught myself as I stood, "I mean Mr. Stanhope."  I did my best to curtsey but I found it difficult to look him in the eyes and suddenly I was more awkward than ever.

            "No," he whispered as he approached me, "Please call me Percival again?"  He looked jaded and almost empty, like the world had taken a toll on him.  When he caught my hand, I felt a gentle squeeze as he brought it to his lips.  He lingered for a moment, waiting for me to return his gaze.  "I have missed you," his words were breathless and caused my heart to ache, remembering how I left things with him.

            "Percival?" Patience's happy calls rang through the hall and into the library, "Percival are you really here?"  She swept into the room, her face still aglow, and threw her arms around her brother, "I had no idea  you were in the area!"

            "In truth, I was not," he cleared his throat as he looked her over, "You look positively radiant, what has changed?"

            "A great deal," Freddie said, making his presence known from the doorway.  He was carrying Oliver with one hand and Isabella held onto the other.

            "Oh, I see now!" Percival's face brightened some and then he kissed his sister before joining Freddie.  Isabella pretended to be shy when he offered a hug, but he just laughed and then took a look at Oliver, "Congratulations to you both," he sighed, "I am overjoyed at this news."  I looked away when he turned to me again, something that I expected Patience to notice.

            "Here, let me take the children upstairs," Patience suggested.  "Will you be staying long, Percy?"

            "I don't think so."  He sounded unsure, even more so with those words.  He was so very different from the man I knew before.

            "You're staying for dinner, at least," Freddie said clamping him on the shoulder, "I insist."

            I felt as if everyone was looking at me, waiting for me to say something but all I could think of was the way he looked that day in London.  A well of emotions was building and I would not be able to hold them back for long.  "Margaret, will you be a dear and bring Isabella?" Patience's voice broke my worried thoughts and I quickly nodded and scooped up my niece, following her upstairs.

            "Come, Percy, let's have a brandy and talk," I heard Freddie say as I reached the top of the stairs.

            Patience said nothing as we took the children to the nursery.  I helped Isabella get undressed and ready for a nap while she set Oliver in the bassinet.  "Is Uncle Percival going to stay again?" Isabella asked.

            "I don't know," I offered as I helped her get into bed.

            "I could make room," she yawned.

            "For what, dear?" Patience asked when she kissed her daughter's forehead.

            "At my tea party . . . " the words faded as she fell asleep.

            Patience looked to me and smiled, then took my arm and led us into the hallway, carefully closing the door, "I think she's taken a slight fancy to him," she smiled easily.  I nodded and tried to keep my eyes away from hers, sure that mine would begin to tear.  "I know that I've caused you a great deal of hurt in the past . . . and I am more sorry for that than I can express."

            I was not expecting her confession, her voice was laden with regret and I felt my emotional dam give way.  "I . . . "

            "Shush," she said, "Let me finish.  I was callous to you when I should have been caring, spiteful when I should have been sympathetic.  I am not sure I can properly explain my actions, but I do hope that one day you may be willing to forgive me . . . "

            I kept my head down to try to hide the tears that were falling, "I do," I sniffled as I reached into my pocket for a handkerchief.

            "I'm sure it's not that simple," Patience lifted my chin and dabbed my cheeks with the handkerchief she pulled from my hand, "I was cruel in many ways.  I have not yet begun to forgive myself . . . and I am sure my brother has not either."

            "He looked very happy for you," I said meeting her eyes.  They were not the cold, vapid eyes I had known before, but full of compassion as she looked over my face.

            "He did, but I do not think he's here for me."