Chapter Thirty-Four "Fittings, Bruises and Whist"

The next several days spun in a whirlwind of activity.  Patience did her best to join us in the parlor between breakfast and tea, so she could be part of all Lady Edgehill's planning.  I'm not sure what needed so much preparations, but I sat with them and pretended to be interested.  My mind constantly wandered.  I had not seen nor heard from Thomas since I told him about the contract.  It's true that I had hoped he would be upset, but I did not anticipate his reaction at all.  I was left with an emptiness, not knowing what had caused him so much sadness.  Leah kept quiet and seemed to avoid my company for the most part.  Freddie had left for two days to tend to some business.  That was all he said, but at least he seemed in a better mood.  Lord Edgehill was out often too, leaving the lady to complain about he was more fascinated with Seamus' dogs than his own family.  So I was left with Patience and Lady Edgehill as they continued to plan my life.

            The fittings started straightaway, but since there was no mirror during the first few and everything was in pieces, I really did not know what to think.  The lady seemed pleased, so therefore I was too.  Patience remained quiet and kept a keen eye on the process.  I wondered what she was thinking but thought it was better that I not know.  I had wished Leah would join us, I thought if I could count on anyone to tell me what they thought, it was her.  But she was still awkwardly avoiding me.

            More days passed and no word from Thomas or Faith.  Freddie was my only source of comfort and he was still aloof.  I took to hiding in the library and spending my time reading unless I was otherwise needed.  Lord Edgehill did have a fine collection of books, so I was never wanting for something new to read.  I recalled my last marathon of reading, when I was trying to avoid Percival for Patience's sake.  Now I was losing myself in words waiting for Thomas . . . was this for Patience's sake or my own?

* * * * *

            Friday came in like a lion as Leah interrupted the day's fitting by dragging Thomas into the house behind her.  I stood on the stool and watched as Lady Edgehill ran to her disheveled son, "What have you done now, Thomas?" she asked warily looking over him, trying to inspect and straighten his clothes.  I noticed he was sporting a blackened eye as we caught notice of each other amidst the fuss happening.  I wanted to run to him as well, but with the amount of pins holding my sleeves together, I just stayed put.  I offered a careful smile, not knowing if he'd return it.  I felt my spirits soar when he did, that small crease in his cheek reemerged and he gave me a quick nod before turning to his mother as she pulled him down to her level.  "Who did this to you?" she demanded taking a close look at his face.

            "It's all right, Mother," he breathed pulling out of her reach, "you should see the other fellow."  There was a slight smirk when he said it.

            "Go upstairs and freshen up, we will discuss this when your father gets home," the lady said as she returned to the fitting.  I watched as Thomas as Leah ran up the stairs, glad that he cast a glance or two my way.  "I think that will be all today," Lady Edgehill sighed, "it is looking lovely though, isn't it Miss Woodbridge?"

            "Margaret," Patience hissed to catch my attention.

            "Oh yes, very," I smiled as the seamstress carefully removed the sleeves from my arms.

            "When will it be finished?" the lady asked.

            "Two to three weeks, your ladyship," the seamstress nodded, "just as planned."

            "Very good," Lady Edgehill smiled and looked at me, "perfect timing." 

            The seamstress gathered her things and left.  I excused myself as Patience and the lady began talking of preparations again and  made my way to the stairs.  I looked at them deep in conversation and tried not to look too excited as I went to see what had happened to Thomas.