Chapter Sixteen "Settling In"

"Well that was a lovely start, was it not?" Lady Edge sighed, "I will have our steward take you to your rooms where you can freshen up before tea. Hopefully by then I can entice my daughter out to meet you."

            Lady Edgehill rang a bell and her steward appeared in the doorway, "Adams, please show our guests to their rooms," she said with a slight wave of her hand, "and have their luggage brought up immediately."

            The older man gave a curt bow to her before he stood at the door saying, "If you would follow me," gesturing towards the wide staircase in the hall.

            Patience curtsied towards Lady Edgehill, "Come along girls, it has been a long trip." Faith and I followed suit and headed towards the stairs.

            "Oh, Adams, perhaps the girls would like a room near Leah's," Lady Edgehill said more than she asked.

            "Yes, your ladyship," he bowed again and then led the way up the stairs. The second staircase we took was not as grand as the first, but it was not meant so much for company as it led to the family's rooms. "Mrs. Woodbridge, this will be your room" he said opening the second door from the stairs. I did my best to look inside as Adams guided Patience around the room. "One of our men will bring your trunk shortly."

            "Thank you," Patience started like she was going to say something but Adams closed the door as he exited and continued down the hall. I stifled a giggle at the surprised look she had on her face.

            "You young ladies will be in the room next to Miss Edgehill, as my mistress has instructed," Adams said opening a door further down the hall and on the opposite side as Patience's room. He stood with the door aside allowing us to walk in. It was a large, bright room, obviously decorated for a young lady judging by the delicate pillows and bedding. "Is everything to your satisfaction, Misses?"

            "Why, yes, thank you," Faith answered as I moved to the window.

            "Your trunks will be brought up shortly," Adams said moving back into the hall, "One of the lady's maids will be in to check on you as well."

            "Thank you," I smiled turning away from the window as he left, "Faith, I can see the park!" I whispered excitedly. She said nothing but took off her pelisse and hung it in the wardrobe and then sat at the dressing table fixing her hair and looking at her reflection. "Is something wrong, Faith?" I asked moving to look at her reflection as well.

            "I had no question that you would do well here, Margaret, but Lady Edgehill is giving you a debut and sponsoring you at Court!" There were traces of a pout about her mouth but she did not look away.

            "But I did nothing to warrant such attention," I replied, fear rising in me that in one day I could have lost my only friend in London as well as the good standing I thought I had finally found in Patience. "You must believe me, Faith, I expected nothing . . . I barely said a thing . . . "

            "I am aware," she nodded, trying to let her mouth ease to its natural form, "and it is not that I am jealous so much as that I am taken aback by the extremely warm reception you have received."

            "As am I," I agreed removing my pelisse, "I do not know why Lady Edgehill has chosen to bestow such graces upon me."

            "Hmm," Faith smiled as she stood and walked towards me, "I think that the reason is glaringly obvious but perhaps you are still struck by the young and handsome Mr. Thomas Edgehill?" Her voice was light and teasing again, like it was as we were packing days ago, "Was I not telling the truth?"