Chapter Eighty "A Third Option"

Am I seeing correctly?  Violets?  No, I must be dreaming . . . but I couldn't be.  "Miss?" Reginald said nodding towards the flowers.

            I felt tears welling in my eyes as I scooped up the bouquet gently, as if the delicate petals were made of glass or something even more fragile.  I pressed them to my lips, feeling them quiver as I tried to speak, "Just the flowers?  No card?  No letter?"

            "Just the flowers, Miss."  Reginald stepped back before he turned and took the stairs.  I looked after him as if he wasn't real, but the scent of the flowers was more proof than I needed.  Isaac . . . he had found me at last.  I twirled about the room in a happy daze.  The flowers smelled sweeter than any I had before.  I had to show Freddie, this would prove that Percival is not the only viable match for me.  It proved that I was right in not succumbing.  Yes, I had to show him!  As I returned to my door, Leah was standing there solemnly watching.

            "Leah!" I squealed in delight, "Look, Isaac has sent me violets again!  Isn't it wonderful?  He's coming!"

            "Margaret . . . " her voice was barely a whisper.

            "Leah, why aren't you excited?"

            "They're not from Isaac," she looked down at the floor, her thumbs fumbling over one another until one found its way to her lips.  I knew that sign, she was nervous . . . anxious.

            "What do you mean, who else would send me violets like this?"  I think I knew the answer, but I did not want to believe, "They're from Isaac!" I asserted.

            "I sent them," she winced in response.

            "What?" I cried, "Why?  Why would you do this?"  I felt the accusing tone in my voice harsh, but I could not fathom why she did this.  Why she would give me such hope, just to dash it moments later.

            "I . . . I don't know.  I thought it was a good idea, to keep him fresh in your mind . . . he is coming . . . he has to come," Leah was fighting her own tears and from the tone of her voice trying to convince herself as well.  "I didn't mean to hurt you . . . "

            Too much had come falling on me, even my home felt like it was closing in, I had to escape.  I pushed past Leah and ran towards the gardens, the violets still clutched in my hand.  I tried to control the sound of my sobs until I was outside, but I'm sure it was obvious that I was a wreck.  The one thing I was thankful for was hearing Freddie's voice as I passed the drawing room, he merely whispered, "Give her time."  I knew that meant that he'd keep our agreement.  No one would intrude so long as I kept to the gardens.

            I roamed the paths for what felt like a long time before I finally took a seat near the hydrangeas.  I was still sniffling as I admired their colors, comparing the purple hues to that of my violets.  "If we were in my land, I'd show you the l-lotus gardens."  I jumped to my feet, startled, finding Owen standing amidst the asters, his head bowed with a shy smile playing at his lips.  "I do apologize for startling you, but ah . . . I thought you could use some re-refreshment."  He turned slightly, keeping his head lowered and handed me a glass of lemonade.

            "Thank you," I tried to smile but instead only took a sip, hoping to myself that I was no longer crying.

            "Forgive me, but you s-seem troubled.  I thought I would offer an ear."

            "No," I breathed, "I mean thank you, but no.  I've had enough talking between my brother and Patience . . . and Leah too.  I just need to be able make my own decisions."

            Owen studied me quietly for a moment, "Well, you seem caught somehow.  And b-being that I have only known you for a short time, I can o-offer a truly unbiased opinion if you need one."

            "Caught?" I nodded, "You must be paying attention . . . "  I let the words drift off when I realized what I was saying.  When he looked away and cleared his throat, I knew the truth of it.  He had been paying attention.  "Okay," I sighed, thinking that if I shared my troubles with him, that Owen might stop paying attention to me and instead see Leah.  "My brother is quite set on me marrying Patience's brother, Percival, meanwhile Leah has ideas about me and her brother, Isaac."

            He nodded silently, thinking for a moment, "And you?  What are your feelings?"  I was caught by the sincerity of his question.  He was waiting for an answer, his warm, brown eyes exuding immense compassion.

            "I . . . I am caught . . . "  Owen let a smile creep into one corner of his mouth as he extended his hand in a small sweep, offering the chance to stroll and discuss my quandary.  Before long I found myself telling him about Percival.  I told him of the letters and the promises that were made if I would give him the chance.  I shared my feelings of Isaac and the happiness I found in London, only to have it vanish without a word.  I found it incredibly easy to talk to Owen, he barely said anything and seemed genuinely curious towards my dilemma.  There was no judging in his countenance.  I was grateful to have him just listen.  Before long we were at the beach, sitting on one of the fallen logs, just watching the waves crash upon the shore.  "So, now you know.  I am truly caught between two possible chances at happiness.  What would you suggest?"

            Owen sat there for a long moment, running his hand over his beard as he kept his eyes trained on the horizon.  "They are both fine choices . . . but you have forgotten your third option."

            "You can't mean spinsterhood!"

            "No, not that," he laughed before getting serious again, "but what about the shy f-foreigner that can whisk you away to the furthest reaches of the world, where such problems would be inconsequential?"

            I was completely stunned by his question, "Wh-what?"  He could hardly be serious, could he?

            "Well, it would keep you from having to m-make that decision," he smiled and raised his brows.  I was relieved when a small laughed escaped his lips, my own chuckle followed as my shoulders relaxed.  "Although . . . "

            "There you are!" Freddie's voice carried over us, boisterous even against the ocean.  He was standing on the cliff that looked over the beach, he looked distressed as he ran his hand through his hair, "You are supposed to stay in the gardens!"

            "I'm sorry," I called up to him as Owen and I headed back to the weathered steps that lead to lawns and the house, "We were just talking."

            "Well, come back inside, it's nearly supper time," Freddie said as we joined him.  "Are you better now?" he pressed a kiss to my forehead, "I am sorry if we ambushed you."  I could not think of an adequate response, especially not in Owen's presence so I gave him a smile and the three of us walked back.

            Leah was waiting anxiously by the windows, I could not read her expression though.  But as we entered the drawing room again, she slipped into the hall and disappeared.  When I excused myself to clean up and change, Owen stopped me "Th-thank you for sharing with me," he bowed, "but if it's too difficult of a decision . . . the third offer is valid."