Chapter Eighty-Four News from London

I felt like one of the colorful, crisp leaves falling from my home in the trees and being blown about by the autumn wind. I could not choose my own direction for I was at the mercy of the gusts that ruled the sky. I was forced this way and that, tumbling over myself. Tears were brimming over my eyelids but even they did not know which way to fall. I thrust my arms out, "Please, help me!"

"Shush now, I have you," the words barely got to my ears over the rush of the air surrounding me and I felt strong arms holding me. Keeping me still despite the forces that blew. I wanted to fight against them but I also wanted to cling to them . . . anything to feel like I would be in control.

"Margaret?" I heard my name and the urge to fight began to wane. "Margaret, can you hear me?" I struggled to open my eyes, to realize that I was more than just a leaf. Leah and Faith were to either side of me, both looking like they were holding their breaths to see if I would regain mine. Leah was nibbling her thumb as she clutched my hand in her lap. Faith was leaning close, stroking my cheek, "Margaret, can you hear me?" she asked again.

I nodded and tried to sit up, that was when I realized that Owen was holding me. He must have come in behind me and was there to catch me as I fell. "I think I would like to stand up now," I managed, feeling rather embarrassed.

"No," Freddie interjected, "I think you should lie down a bit." He moved towards me, but before he breached the circle my friends created, Owen had me off the ground. I looked towards my brother, "Um, well if you would bring her this way," he directed as he moved into the hallway.

I was thankful that Freddie decided that I would be fine in the library. Owen set me on the sofa and then gave a slight bow and quickly left. Leah found a blanket to cover me and then took a seat by my feet while Faith and Patience had chairs brought closer. There wasn't cause for such fuss but I still felt rather windblown and I could not find my words.

"I am so sorry, Margaret," Faith professed as she extended a hand to me, "I was hoping that our visit would be more of a surprise than . . . "

"Oh, I'm sure she was just startled," Patience sighed as she tucked the blanket around me, "You look positively chilled through."

"I-I'm fine," I managed as I took Faith's hand, "it is so good to see you!" With my voice no longer unsteady, everyone seemed to breathe easily. "I am sorry if I startled you."

Freddie stoked the fire into a roar and then joined us momentarily, "Magpie, where were you?"

"Just walking," I offered looking up at him innocently.

"You were at the beach again, weren't you?" he sighed and didn't wait for an answer, "We will discuss that later. For now, you let these ladies look after you and I will occupy the rest of our guests." He disappeared behind the doors and it was silent for a moment, three sets of expectant eyes on me.

"I just went to clear my head . . . and I lost track of time."

Patience gave me a funny smile, like she knew more than what I said, "I'll get Charlotte to make some chamomile tea for you." She stood and looked at me, then gave my cheek a pat, "Just relax and stay here a bit, okay?" All I could do was nod and watch her leave.

There was a heavy silence and I found it difficult to look at my friends. I started to wheedle the threads of the blanket when Leah finally spoke, "You thought it was . . . someone else . . . that had come." I could tell she deliberately withheld names.

I nodded and then felt horrible, "Not that I am not overjoyed to see you again," I smiled at Faith. "I just had no idea that you were coming. Why didn't you send word?"

It was her turn to awkwardly look about the room, keeping her eyes from ours, "Well, Philip and I came with news . . . "

"Is Philip here as well?" I sat up with interest. "I didn't see him," I clucked a bit, "but then I didn't see much, did I?" I smiled at Leah and waited for Faith to continue. "Is it about your engagement?"

Faith's eyes met mine, "Partially," she tentatively smiled and took off her glove to show us the beautiful ring that adorned her finger. Leah and I scooted closer to inspect it, it was lovely. "Lady Edgehill had sent some things to the Winchesters so that when I saw you, I could bring them . . . "

I looked to Leah, "I did not expect that," I sighed, "I didn't leave anything that I could not do without." She nodded silently, although I knew she left behind far more than I did.

"Actually, it's mostly for Leah," Faith explained.

Leah's eyes grew wide, "I don't . . . "

"Well, one particular package she wanted hand delivered to you," Faith continued.

"I don't want it," Leah took my hand in hers. "I'm not ready to deal with my mother." The silence fell again and each of us in turn looked towards the doors in hopes that someone would come to save us from it.

After a few moments Faith spoke softly, "I have other news from the house of Edgehill." She had our full attention although it looked as if she didn't want it. "It's . . . um . . ." Faith had a pained expression, like what she had to say was causing her pain.

"Go on," I urged, "I don't think there could be many surprises left." When I turned to Leah she only shrugged a bit, she had no idea what Faith could have to say either.

Faith inhaled deeply and set her shoulders, "I only tell you this because you're my dear friend . . . and Philip was determined that we tell you ourselves before you found out any other way," her words came out quickly and mashed together, "but Thomas is married!" Once that was out she sat back and waited for our reaction.

"That is good news," I nodded to Leah, "I think."

"What?" Faith was exasperated. "I just told you that Thomas got married!"

"I understand," I moved to sit more properly beside Leah who was looking a bit more perplexed, "I did not hit my head."

Faith watched us a moment, "I would have thought there would be more . . . emotion."

I shook my head, "No, but I wish them well . . . perhaps."

"What kind of woman would marry Thomas?" Leah mused as she scrunched up her nose.