Chapter Fifty-Two "Impatience"

The rest of the afternoon felt almost as if a dream.  We lingered in the park for hours, hiding in our secluded grove until the sun made a point to tell us it was time to return to the Edgehill home.  When Thomas finally checked his pocket watch he heaved a heavy sigh, "If Mother raises a fuss, I will accept the brunt of it."

            "Why would she?" I asked as I folded the picnic blanket.  He showed me his timepiece and it was nearing five o'clock, "Oh, we definitely missed tea then," I smiled.  "Well perhaps she'll just be happy that we are all getting along?"

            "You hold onto that wish," he said kissing my temple.

            "I can't see how your mother could possibly be cross with you, not with such a charming girl on your arm," Philip said leading Faith out from the trees.

            "I say we wait until we cross the threshold," Thomas laughed, "perhaps since we're both in better company, all will be forgiven."

            The house sounded full and happy as we entered, many voices all intermingling merrily.  I wished there was a way to see what was happening without us formally entering the room, but that would not do for Lady Edgehill.  Faith and I stopped at the mirror in the foyer to make ourselves presentable while Philip and Thomas stood talking a bit.  I admired my friend for a moment, even after an afternoon in the sun she looked splendid, barely a hair out of place.  I looked to my own reflection and noted the reddened skin across my cheeks and nose that would eventually give way to freckles if I did not put my cream on tonight.  My hair was not a mess, but it was not as neat as Faith's.  I let out a slightly disappointed sigh when she smiled at me, ready to be escorted to the party in the drawing room.  "What's wrong?" she whispered.

            "The country girl is reemerging," I answered quietly, letting a my hand sweep under the color of my cheek.

            "You look fine," she said giving my arm a squeeze, "besides I doubt that Thomas cares if  . . . "

            "You doubt if Thomas cares about what?" Thomas interrupted, "I think I should be the judge of what I care about, don't you, Philip?" He nudged his friend who was just standing there watching us . . . or should I say Faith.  "Philip, agree with me," he whispered.

            "Yes, of course, Thomas," Philip said with a laugh realizing that he had missed part of the conversation.  He cleared his throat, never letting his eyes sway from Faith.  "Miss Stanhope, would you allow me to escort you to meet my parents?"  Philip stood proud and offered his arm to her.  She beamed so brightly that she could rival the sun and she eagerly wrapped her arm around his.  They left us and made their way towards the friendly chatter in the other room.  I could only smile watching them walk together, so it looked like Faith would have her happy ending and her Mr. Winchester after all.

            Thomas pulled me back towards the door, "Would you care to tell me what I supposedly don't care about?"  I loved it when we were close like this, and he would look down at me with that cheeky grin of his. 

            "Well . . . I," I began but was soon distracted as his fingertips gently brushed my hair back into place, "I was telling Faith that I feel like the country girl again.  My hair is a bit of a mess . . . "

            "It's not bad, I fixed it a little," he smiled, running his finger along my cheek towards my chin.

            "I've had too much sun . . . " I could feel myself blushing as he lifted my chin to look more clearly at me, although I'm not sure if he could tell by color alone.