Chapter Ninety-One "What Glitters in the Night"

The chilled November air was a welcome embrace. I felt the rushing emotions subside and I took a deep calming breath. A slight shiver ran through my so I pulled the cloak tightly around my shoulders and urged the dogs on to walk, "Let's go before it gets too dark."

I had no plan other than to release myself from that sudden anxiety. I just wanted to clear my thoughts and walk. I followed where Jasper and Alice lead, it wasn't until they were headed towards the beach path that I had to steer them away. I had not brought a lamp and as night was descending, we should stay close to the house.

Skirting the garden, we rounded the house and I decided to follow the road for awhile. Reginald had placed decorative lamps along our front wall, so long as we stayed on our property, we would not be truly far from light. I knew this way so well as it lead to the Vaughn's estate, that I probably could find my way back even in the darkest night. I however knew better, and if Freddie ever decides to look for me before we return to the party, well, I preferred not to think about that.

There were still several lanterns ahead of us, but when I looked back at the house, the windows seemed too small for what I had called a "quick walk." I looked down at my companions, "I suppose we should head back." Alice got comfortable in the cool grass, content to stay, but Jasper barked his agreement. Perhaps he has spent too much time around Freddie? I shrugged to myself and gave their leads a light tug. Reluctantly I turned, taking another deep breath as if to muster the courage to return.

What was my problem? It's a party for my dear friend. A party that I put together and here I was sulking in the night, "This will not do," I said looking at the dogs, "We shall go back and be thrilled for Leah. We will laugh and dance and it will be lovely! Am I right?" This time it was Alice to bark in answer. "Well then, let's go!" Our pace to return was quicker than our original, yet I dare not go faster than a walk for fear of falling in my gown. There would be no acceptable explanation for me changing in the middle of the party.

As we neared the front gate Alice seemed to take lead, almost pulling. I had to trot to keep up when she refused to slow. Once on the road that lead to our door, she pulled free from my grasp and ran towards a carriage that must have been from a late arrival. "Alice, get back here!" I called adamantly. I could hear her barking excitedly and so I gathered my dress a bit so I could try to catch her, Jasper running at my side.

I dared not call so loud as to gain attention from the party, but I needed to find Alice. Leah would be lost without her! When we came within a better distance of the carriage, I froze in place. Jasper skidded to a halt and stood there panting at me. The ornate golden E painted on the back glistened in the lamplight. I heard Alice's happy barking as she circled, calling for her family. I scooped her up and held her close . . . slowly walking alongside the carriage, trying not to look obvious as I glanced inside, half eager and half apprehensive.

The carriage was empty, only the driver was out, "Excuse me sir," I tried to control the tremble in my voice, "this is the Edgehill's coach, is it not?"

"It is," he said, pausing from lighting his pipe to peer at me in the darkness, "they've come for Miss Leah."

That was all I needed to hear, Lord Edgehill had returned! He said he would come to get her after he found Isaac! I let Alice down and started for the front door in a trance. Freddie could chastise me all he wanted for leaving the party. It did not matter . . . this was what we had been waiting for all of those months. It would be a wonderful birthday present for Leah and I . . . I would find out what kept Isaac from me. But then it did not matter, as long as I had him back.

I stopped at the front door and smoothed out the front of my dress. I was shaking, all of me, as I reached out to turn the knob. I would not knock, but merely enter my home as normal, like nothing was out of the ordinary. Then the surprise would come followed by excitement. And then, finally, my happiness would begin.

The door pulled open in my grasp and I came face to face with Freddie. He looked positively angry and then he ran his eyes over me. I could see frustration but he just shook it off, "Aside, Margaret," he commanded, "our uninvited guests are leaving."

I peered around him and my hopes crashed around me when I saw Lady Edgehill putting up a fuss as Patience urged her towards the door, "My own daughter's party and you're throwing me out?" she crowed in her best martyred tone. There were muffled whispers as she moved through the guests, carrying on.

I looked for Leah; she must be devastated and embarrassed. My eyes combed over the sea of faces until I saw her behind Owen who was standing in front of her protectively. He was facing another young man, defiance painting his countenance. The stature and curls of the other man was all too familiar and I took a step past Freddie when Leah called out, "No, Margaret! It's not him!"

The lady and son both turned to look at me. Indeed I felt all eyes on me and my breath caught in my chest. When he turned from Owen there was no doubt in my mind that it was Thomas, the easy smile he wore spread across his face and he headed straight for me. "You!" the lady pointed at me, "This is all your fault! You're the cause of my ruin!" Her staged frailty fell away as she too stepped towards me, only Patience and Freddie preventing her from getting close.

However while they kept her at bay, Thomas pushed his way closer, "I have something for you, Margaret." Arthur moved to intercept him before he could get close to me; that gave me the chance to turn back into the night.