Chapter Seventeen "The Aftermath of Tea"

Tea was set out exquisitely before Lady Edgehill as she rose from her seat to welcome us again, "I trust all is well with your rooms? If you have any need just ask Clara or Adams," she smiled at Faith and myself. "I am expecting my daughter, but I was not able to find her so I sent out a servant to bring her in."

            We all took our seats, Patience begging for the seat beside Lady Edgehill, "Has your daughter made her debut?" she inquired.

            "Leah is only fourteen, she will not debut until next year," Lady Edgehill explained as she poured the tea, "she still has a bit of maturing to do before she is ready for Society."

            "Do you only have two children?" Faith asked as she received her cup of tea. I saw Lady Edgehill flinch a moment before she nodded with a deceptive smile.

            "Will Lord Edgehill not be joining us?" I asked quickly to change the subject.

            "Not presently," she answered, "he decided to go into town to inquire after a new hunting dog." She sighed, "I cannot pretend to understand what goes through a man's mind sometimes."

            "It has been my experience that when a thought occurs to them, it must be dealt with immediately else it will fester until they can think of nothing but," I smiled sipping my tea.

            "That is quite astute, Miss Woodbridge," Lady Edgehill looked at me appreciatively over her tea cup.

            "I apologize, it is just I grew up with three older brothers, it became second nature for me learn to think like they did, otherwise I would have no playmates," I shrugged and tried desperately not to look at anyone. I could feel Patience holding her breath in hopes that I haven't offended our hostess.

            "That is perhaps the best explanation I have ever heard regarding a man's mind," Lady Edgehill smiled. "You will no doubt make a satisfactory wi . . . oh, Leah, finally!" We all turned to see the newest arrival to the room. A bright young girl had entered, she looked remarkably like her mother although her hair was lighter. I could only imagine the success that her debut would be . . . possibly even a marriage proposal before the end of the night. "What kept you, my dear?"

            "I am sorry, Mother," she said kissing Lady Edgehill's cheek, "I was among friends and we had lost track of time."

            "I must have words with the mothers of these friends, if they had their way, I would hardly ever see you," she teased as Leah took the remaining seat, "Let me introduce you to our guests, this is Mrs. Woodbridge, Miss Stanhope and Miss Woodbridge. Ladies, I am pleased to present my daughter, Leah."

            Leah smiled uneasily as she started to sweeten her tea, she glanced up and looked at me but quickly averted her eyes when I smiled in return. The majority of conversation happened between Lady Edgehill and Patience. Both Faith and I attempted to join, but aside from us answering a question here or there, our voices were not heard. As we finished Leah was the first to stand, ready to escape the monotony of social company, "Leah, why don't you show our guests around?"

            "Yes, Mother," she sighed, "if you would follow me," she said shyly. Leah was well practiced in showing the rooms, it sounded as if she had memorized descriptions when she said "this is our gathering room used for formal parties with an Italian marble floor and vaulted ceiling . . . " I tried not to snicker for fear of making her uncomfortable, but I was unable to contain it.

            "I am sorry, Leah," I smiled as I gently touched her elbow, "but we are not matronly friends of your mother's, why don't you show us around like you would a friend?" She looked into my face and then turned to Faith who also smiled warmly at her.