Child-free

"Have you eaten?"

That was the first thing I asked Sasuke when he returned to our room that night, looking no different to how he had when he'd left. He placed a hand on my shoulder as he walked in, leaving his escorts standing outside.

"Gaara? How did it go?" I asked the Kazekage, who looked just as average as Sasuke.

"Everything went well," he said with a small nod. "Naruto should be heading up this way soon. Enjoy your time with Sasuke."

"Ah, of course. Thank you."

I shut the door as Gaara and his entourage headed off, and walked back into the room to see if Sasuke wanted something to eat. The day seemed to have passed quickly; after Kannon and I had spoken, Ayumi and Shisui woke up, and we looked after them. Now, rounding on nine o'clock, Shisui was back asleep, and Kannon lay on the bed with Ayumi trying to put her to sleep.

"How are you feeling?" I asked Sasuke as I joined him at the dining table. "You both look the same."

"Fine."

I frowned at Sasuke's cool response, unsure of what else to say.

"You know, they didn't realise the differences between the chakra before they gave them to us," he further elaborated. "When they gave me and Naruto the chakra paper, it went haywire, just like when you first came to the compound. Gaara's did too, but it missed a couple of natures."

"What does that mean?" I asked, genuinely confounded by his words.

"It means Gaara's council feel like they've been robbed," chuckled Sasuke. "But Gaara himself doesn't seem to mind. Other than that, everything else was smooth sailing."

"Oh, that's good," I sighed in relief, slumping in my seat. "Oh, wait- so then... what would my affinity be like now? Since I don't have any of Sora's chakra left?"

"Beats me. You could ask Tsunade for a sheet, I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

I stayed quiet as I tried to let everything sink in, feeling like all the accomplishments I had achieved under Shisui and Itachi's tutelage hadn't been because of my own strength; it was all because of Sora's damn chakra. And now that I didn't have it... what did that mean for me? Was I really only overhyped because of Sora's abilities, not my own?

"Hey." I looked up as Sasuke reached across the table and gently grabbed my hands, pulling my attention towards him. "Tomorrow and Sunday. It's going to be just me and you."

"Huh?"

"Ask Kannon." At Sasuke's request, I looked over at Kannon on the bed, who was busy softly singing a lullaby to Ayumi to fully put her to sleep. Once she was sure she was out, she placed a tender kiss on Ayumi's forehead before stealthily slinking out of bed and pulling the sheets over the sleeping child, before heading towards Sasuke and I.

"You called?" mused Kannon as she leaned on the back of my seat.

"What's this about me and Sasuke?" I asked, wondering when on earth anyone had made these decisions.

"Ahh, right. Okay, actually, the plan was for you and Sasuke to spend both days and nights somewhere else doing your own thing, but since we figured he'd wanna spend some time with Ayumi and Shisui, you two only really have babysitters for Sunday night," explained Kannon with a wink.

"Sorry, what? Who made these decisions? And why?"

I glared at Sasuke, remembering the last time this had happened, and he shrugged in self defense.

"It was all Kannon's idea. I just said yes."

"Tera, don't get mad," cut in Kannon, placing her hands on my shoulders. "Please, this is the last time you'll be seeing Sasuke for a while. I just wanted to make sure you two get some decent time alone before he has to leave again."