Purity

I tried to sleep as much as I could in the car, between holding Ayumi, and keeping her fed and occupied. I felt like I should've been on edge; but with the way Shisui casually drove the car, humming under his breath, I felt at ease.

"How are you feeling, Kohana-chan?"

For someone who hadn't slept in almost a day, Shisui looked lively as he looked at me in his rear-view mirror. It was just past midday, and I felt relaxed knowing that no shinobi had come after us yet.

"I should be feeling nervous," I said truthfully, clinging onto Ayumi tightly. "But surprisingly, I'm not."

"I'm glad you feel that way," said Shisui with a small smile. "I don't want you to worry too much about things. Everything will work out fine."

In the silence that ensued, Shisui spoke up once more.

"If you don't mind my asking, Kohana-chan... what is your relationship with Sasuke?"

Ah. The dreaded question.

"Um..." I smiled awkwardly, scratching the back of my head. "To be honest, I don't know."

Shisui raised his eyebrow at me, a lopsided grin on his lips.

"Oh?"

I flushed as he chuckled under his breath, unsure of how to explain things to him.

"We're not... well, you remember... um..." I bobbed my head as I tried to collect my thoughts, waiting until I could string everything into chronological order to form logical sentences.

"Well... we don't hate each other as much as we did when we first met," I started out slowly, picking my words very carefully. "Or at least I'd like to think we don't."

"Ah, I see. Was this before or after you realised he gave good dick?"

"SHISUI!"

I reached over and hit the back of the Uchiha's head, embarrassed by his coarse words.

"It's not like that!" I hissed angrily, covering a sleeping Ayumi's ears. "He's just... very misunderstood. When we brought back Ayumi from Orochimaru... and when he came back to resume his job again, we didn't touch for a good two weeks. It was just... lying there and talking. Do you know how easy it is to surrender your utmost thoughts and emotions when you're lying next to someone in the dark at two in the morning?"

"After a few drinks I do," snorted Shisui, making me roll my eyes. "I can't imagine that my little cousin had anything deep or meaningful to give to you. What did he talk to you about? His childhood? Innermost fears? Not knowing his purpose in life?"

"No, not that deep down, but we did talk," I said sheepishly, now unsure of what Sasuke and I had even talked about during those times he stayed in my room. "And it wasn't, like, sarcastic talk either. Well, majority of the time wasn't. Long story short, after we retrieved Ayumi and returned to the compound... our relationship kind of softened."

"Ahh, I see. You know, I did notice something was off about Sasuke when I came back."

"Huh? Didn't you just come back though?"

"Yes, but in those two days, I saw a Sasuke that was completely foreign to me," sighed Shisui with a small shrug. "He changed. I could even see it in his chakra signature."

"I'm still annoyed no one has taught me anything about chakra signatures yet," I complained, making Shisui laugh a little.

"I'll make sure you get some training in when we get to Suna, okay?"

"Yes, thank you. So you're telling me his signature changed?"

"Not so much changed, more like... lightened up," he began explaining. I braced myself for the coming cheesiness. I had a feeling I knew what he was going to say.