Nerves

"Why the hell do we keep running into each other here."

Sasuke's voice was cold as he stared at his cousin who stood before Tera's bedroom door, looking like he was about to go in. Slightly surprised, Shisui turned away from the room and straightened up, raising an eyebrow at Sasuke.

"Why are you here?" he asked bleakly, looking thoroughly confused at his superior's appearance. Sasuke shot him a poisonous scowl, eyes narrowed at him as if daring him to step any closer towards the door.

"Why are you here?" snapped back Sasuke harshly, making Shisui frown at his discourtesy. "You've only barely returned from your mission- who reinstated you as Tera's escort?"

Shisui's eyes bored into Sasuke's own, reading him carefully.

"Your father did, actually," was his swift reply, shutting down Sasuke at once. "I swung by your house yesterday to visit aunty and Ayumi. I met him on my way out, and he told me so himself. According to him, you have bigger things to focus on. Congratulations on you and Tera's second child, by the way. I'm sure you're thrilled."

The twinge of disdain in Shisui's voice made his cousin's scowl deepen, and he stepped closer towards him in a show of intimidation.

"Look, Shisui," growled Sasuke possessively, hands balled into fists at his side. "I don't care what my father told you. If I wasn't alerted personally, then this arrangement does not change. Leave. Now."

Stretching his neck, Shisui stood fearlessly before his cousin.

"Sorry, Sasuke. But I can't do that."

With a small grin, he patted Sasuke on the shoulder.

"I don't see why it matters so much to you anyway. You were never a stickler for the rules, and I doubt you care much about Tera or Ayumi either. Just go back to doing your duties as a higher up. I'm sure you get more excitement doing that sort of work rather than just babysitting, don't you?"

Irritation prevalent on his face, Sasuke spoke through gritted teeth.

"I'm not the only one expecting another child," he said in a dark voice, flexing his hands. Immediately, Shisui's posture changed, and he eyed out Sasuke suspiciously.

"And your point is?"

"Does Tera know? I'm certain that if she knew about you, she wouldn't be so friendly and amicable towards you."

"My friendship with Tera is based off of more than what we each do when we're not together," was Shisui's cold reply. "Nothing changes."

Sasuke smirked in triumph, knowing he was finally pushing Shisui's buttons.

"What are you two doing?"

Just as tensions between the pair were beginning to heat up, a familiar figure emerged from the stairwell behind them.

Arms crossed and looking like he'd heard enough, Itachi was frowning and shaking his head at his brother and cousin, dressed cleanly with his crisp, white button up shirt tucked into his navy blue trousers.

"What are you doing here?"

"Little brother, you're so out of the loop," sighed Itachi, striding past the two and making his way towards Tera's bedroom door. "Shisui's taking her. I'm just the babysitter. You have some important paperwork up in your office, so I suggest you go and get that done instead."

***

"Itachi!"

I leapt up in excitement as I heard the Uchiha's familiar voice, and rushed to greet him at the door. Behind him I saw Shisui standing with Sasuke, and momentarily, got thrown off guard.