Matchmaker

"Tera? Tera, is everything okay?"

My mind was fuzzy as I tried to make sense of what was happening. I could faintly hear Kannon's voice, and on top of that, I heard shrill screaming.

Ayumi...? What's happening...

With a groan, I willed my body to move, but to no avail.

Why do I feel so... limp...

"Tera, I'm coming in!"

I heard a loud bang, which was followed by a disgruntled sigh.

"Honestly, how can you sleep through all this crying?" 

I opened one eye to see Kannon at the side of Ayumi's cot beside me, reaching down and picking her up.

"I just... need some time..." I managed to spit out, trying to adjust to my senses. This was a sensation unfamiliar to me; while I was absolutely sure I had had a good night's rest, I felt the opposite of well rested. Is it possible to rest so much that you get even more tired?

"You must have reached your limit," Kannon said nonchalantly, holding Ayumi in her arms as she marched over to our fridge. "She has bottles in here, right?"

"My... limit?" I groaned as movement finally became possible for me, and slowly sat up in bed. Pressing my palms against my eyes, I shook off the heavy feeling of sleepiness and cleared my mind.

"You're generally not this much of a heavy sleeper," chuckled Kannon from behind me, opening the refrigerator. "It has been a pretty intense week, I don't blame you for wanting the extra sleep."

"It feels so weird," I said weakly, stretching my arms. "I haven't slept like that in a long time. Oh, god, what if Ayumi cried during the night and I didn't even wake up?! Is she okay?"

"Trust me, I would've heard her if she did," said Kannon reassuringly, heating up one of Ayumi's baby bottles in the adjacent microwave. "You both slept well last night, I'm glad. Have any interesting dreams?"

"Not that I know of." With a sigh, I kicked off my blankets and got to my feet, yawning loudly with my arms stretched. "I feel like my body's still asleep. I need to do some warm ups before we start today."

"Today? Today's Saturday, it's your day off," said Kannon, reminding me of our schedule. "Relax, Tera. Besides, I think you have an appointment with Sasuke today."

"Oh, right."

"You're not getting cold feet about going alone, are you?"

"Hmm? Oh, no, no... I'm just still trying to wake up..." I murmured, feeling lethargic. "This is why I hate oversleeping."

"Good. Tell him I said hi."

***

"I trust you'll take care of her today, right, Kannon?"

Kannon beamed at me as I stood at the front door of our little apartment, saluting me enthusiastically.

"Definitely!"

"Okay. See you guys in a bit."

With a sigh, I ruffled the back of my hair and shut the door behind me, still struggling to overcome the fog that had begun to cloud my mind.

"Man, screw this," I muttered to myself, slowly making my way to the elevator at the end of the corridor.

"Hey, Amaterasu. I was just going to check up on you guys."

I straightened up as Gaara himself emerged from the elevator, and raised a hand at him in a halfhearted wave.

"You okay?" he asked with a hint of concern, analysing me fully. In reply, I let out a loud yawn, and he let out a small breath of relief.