Be My Last

A couple of days passed, and Sasuke was in the middle of feeding Shisui when Gaara turned up to his room. He and Kannon had each been taking care of Shisui and Ayumi, respectively, leaving the ever present Naruto to open the door.

"Hello," greeted the Kazekage warmly as Naruto let him into the room. Kannon looked up at him with a bright smile, while Ayumi got to her feet and began tottering her way towards him. Sasuke merely looked up at Gaara for a brief second, before returning his attention to his infant son.

"How have you been?" asked Kannon as Gaara swept a giggly Ayumi into his arms, carrying her back with him as he joined Kannon on the playmat.

"Surprisingly, good. I've checked up on all our citizens in their new, temporary homes, and it seems like everything is fine. We've yet to decide whether it's entirely safe for them to return to the village."

"True, you never know what the Uchiha have in mind," frowned Kannon thoughtfully.

"They won't be doing anything," piped up Sasuke boredly, not looking up once from Shisui. "They need time to regroup, especially after losing so many people fighting Sora. If the Hokage can utilize and move her forces fast enough, they can siege Konoha before my clan even begin to move. No doubt my father will want to test out his newfound abilities with the chakra elsewhere before thinking of chasing down the Hokage again."

"I'll let the Hokage know, thank you for the intel," said Gaara appreciatively. "Actually, I came by because Tera's woken up. She's been asking for all of you."

Kannon let out a sigh of relief, throwing her hands into the air.

"Yes! She lives!"

"I told her I'd bring you all back, of course, but there's no rush," said Gaara, looking over at Sasuke, who appeared to be taking his time with Shisui. Not that it was his fault, though- Shisui ate at his own pace.

"Just... give us a few minutes," murmured the Uchiha, watching as Shisui slowly drained his bottle of all its formula. "We'll be ready soon."

"Ayumi, come on, let's go get you dressed," said Kannon, holding her arms out towards the little girl and beckoning for her to come to her. "We need to change your diaper too."

Gaara smiled as he placed Ayumi back on the ground, letting her make her way back to Kannon.

"We'll be back." Kannon picked up Ayumi as she got to her feet, grabbing her pre-packed bag at the foot of the bed. "Gaara? You gonna hang around?"

"I should wait for you all so we can leave together," said the Kazekage. "I'll wait in here for you and Ayumi to get ready."

"Alright, thanks."

With that, Kannon left, and Sasuke, Gaara, and Naruto sat in silence.

"You all done now?" said Sasuke softly, removing the now empty bottle from Shisui's mouth. "Come on. You've gotta burp for me. We don't want you throwing up all over mummy, do we?"

"You catching onto the father life well, Sasuke?" asked Gaara, now sitting spreadeagled on the floor.

"He's a natural!" chimed in Naruto, sitting at the dining table. "I've never seen Sasuke so patient in his life."

"Naruto, just because you're here to make sure I don't get up to anything, doesn't mean I won't hesitate to knock you out on the spot," said Sasuke warningly, making Naruto sweatdrop.

"I was just telling it how it is!"

"Truthfully, Sasuke, I'm excited to see how you and Tera will work well together as parents," said Gaara. "I know you've been waiting to reunite for a long time."