Remembered

"Guess who."

Sasuke waited with baited breath as Naruto entered the room before him, announcing the Uchiha's sudden arrival.

"Who is it?"

Sasuke watched as Naruto flung the door open to show off his duck butt haired friend, revealing Kannon and Shibuki on the other side, babysitting his children. Shibuki was on the floor, rolling around on a play mat with Ayumi as he kept her entertained with stuffed toys. Meanwhile, Kannon sat on the bed, holding Shisui in her arms with a bottle pressed against his lips. As soon as she saw the Uchiha, she let out a small, 'ah,' and looked at him with caution in her eyes.

"Um... maybe, if one of you could finish feeding Shisui, I can excuse myself..." she mumbled as she looked towards Naruto and Shibuki, both of whom looked taken aback by her words.

With a sigh, Sasuke held up a hand.

"Kannon. Don't go. Please." The last word was forced out of the Uchiha's mouth as he attempted to keep the amicable air between him and the other shinobi. "I just want to see my children. I'm not here to attack you."

Although she remained with a remorseful look on her face, Kannon nodded solemnly and looked back at Shisui, focusing on the task at hand to avoid having to look at Sasuke.

"Come on in."

Sasuke stepped into Kannon's room and allowed Naruto to shut the door behind him, guardedly making his way closer to Shibuki and Ayumi. The first thought that crossed his mind was, Wow. Is this for real?

Slowly reaching the edge of the play mat and getting onto his knees, Sasuke continued to watch his daughter in silence, unsure of what to do.

It had been three months since he had last seen her, and even longer since he had last been able to hold her in his arms. Now, doubt crossed his mind- will she even remember me?

Taking note of the Uchiha's presence, Shibuki held up Ayumi's toy out of her reach as he attempted to get her attention, waving it around in Sasuke's direction.

"Look, Ayumi! Who is it?"

The little girl whined as Shibuki held her toy out of her reach, holding out her hands and crying for him to hand it back to her. However, once she finally decided to look in the direction Shibuki was motioning throwing her toy in, her eyes landed on Sasuke, and she stared at him blankly.

Sasuke felt his hands going clammy as he realised Ayumi was looking at him as a stranger, and wondered how on earth he was going to make her remember him, if even possible.

"Hey, princess," said the father softly, hoping against hope that he would actually get a reaction out of her. With major uncertainty, he held out his hands to Ayumi, willing for her to come towards him.

He watched in disappointment as she turned back to Shibuki and began crying out for her toy again, completely ignoring Sasuke.

"Ahh..."

Naruto watched on as Sasuke sat down, dejected at his daughter's lack of acknowledgement. However, Shibuki passed the Uchiha the toy and got up from the mat, saying, "I'll leave you two to it," and joined Kannon on the bed. 

However, Ayumi was not impressed, and followed the young guard to the bed, making little noises with every crawl she took. 

Kannon laughed from the top of the bed as she watched Ayumi reach the foot of her bed, grabbing onto its leg.

"You're not getting away from her that easily, Shibuki!" teased the Kurotsuki, nudging Shibuki with her elbow as he sat beside her. However, what followed came as a surprise to all of them.