Rebirth

"Kannon. Kannon, open up."

"Ugh..."

The Kurotsuki sat up and rubbed her eyes, wondering just who in their right mind was trying to wake her up at this time of night. A second glance at the window revealed no sign of sunlight anywhere, and with a small scowl on her face, Kannon swung her legs off of the bed and softly got to her feet, so as to avoid waking the sleeping toddler beside her.

"Yes?" Still in a daze, Kannon opened the door with a sour look on her face, scowling even more once she saw who was waiting for her. It was Gaara; however, it took her a moment to fully register the looks of panic and alarm on his face, and had to snap herself out of it to let it sink in.

"What's wrong?" she asked, slapping her hands against her cheeks as she read the concern on Gaara's face.

"You need to get to the village gate. Now," said Gaara urgently. "It's Amaterasu. Something's wrong with her."

"Wait- what? Why would she be at the village gate?"

"That's exactly what I'm wondering! Come on, let's go now!"

Without another word, Kannon rushed back into the room to grab her shoes, and reprimanded herself at the sight of Ayumi sleeping in bed.

"Wait! If Tera's out, then who's with Shisui?!"

"Naruto is there now," Gaara informed her, beckoning for her to come out.

"Then what about Ayumi?!"

"We can get a nurse-"

Kannon cut off the Kazekage with a wave of her hand, shaking her head at him.

"No," she said finally, grabbing him and pulling him into the room. "You stay here with her. I'll go alone."

"But-"

"Just do it Gaara!" hissed the Kurotsuki, feeling her body rapidly begin waking up at the realisation of just how severe the situation was. "Village gate?"

"Yes- be quick!"

"On it!"

***

Kannon could hear everything before she saw it.

People shouting, explosions, screams.

She flew through the rooftops of Suna as quickly as she could to reach her destination, where she ultimately was taken aback by the sight that greeted her. On the ground before her were several Suna shinobi, who were all focused on one figure that stood atop the village gate, leering down at them all. The wall itself had been barely damaged in that area; there was already a gaping hole right next to the gate, still smoking from the fire jutsu that had inflicted it.

As Kannon was busy analysing the scene and trying to find Tera amongst the fighting faces, a familiar sandy haired woman landed next to her, panting as she struggled to catch her breath.

"Temari!" exclaimed Kannon, leaping down to the ground with her. "What's going on here?! Where's Tera? She should be resting!"

Doubled over as she attempted to steady her breaths, Temari furiously shook her head and pointed to the cackling figure standing on the wall.

"She's- there- she's- crazy-!"

"Huh? That's Tera?! What's she doing?"

"I- don't know-"

Kannon squinted at the figure on the wall that was throwing attack after attack at the shinobi on the ground, disbelieving of Temari's words.

That can't be Tera...