Home Sweet Home

"You wanted to see me, father."

Fugaku scowled scornfully as his eldest son allowed himself into his office, looking thoroughly displeased.

"Come here." His voice was cold and stern, and internally, Itachi let out a sigh. He knew what was coming.

Five days had passed since Sora had been taken down, and yet Sasuke still showed no signs of return to his family.

"If this is about Sasuke, then I'm afraid I can't help you," said Itachi with an air of defeat as he sat across from his father. "He said he would follow behind me with his children while he waited for Amaterasu's ashes to be delivered to him. I don't know where he possibly could've gone."

"That idiot," hissed Fugaku, slamming his fist down on his desk. "Why would he wait for such useless things?"

"I know it might come as a surprise to you, father, but I'm guessing Sasuke was very... emotionally invested in that girl," said Itachi slowly, enlightening his father on the pair's illicit relationship. "She was, after all, the mother of his children."

"... an absolute idiot! If he was waiting for her ashes, then where is he now?!"

"I can't imagine travelling with a ten month old and newborn baby is very easy," suggested Itachi. "Especially if you're alone, and trekking across such a vast terrain."

"If you knew he was bringing them back, why didn't you leave others with him to make the journey?!"

"Sasuke's orders. I merely obeyed."

Obviously furious with his eldest son's lack of tact, Fugaku pinched the bridge of his nose.

"This... this is why Sasuke is second in command, and not you!" shouted Fugaku, incensed by Itachi's complacency. "You have no backbone! It's almost as if you lack common sense, as well! Why would you let your brother give out such an irrational order, and let him get away with it?! Out of all the things you could've done, Itachi- this! This! I can't believe you!"

"It's like you said, father. Sasuke is second in command. I was just obeying orders."

Knowing he was testing his father's patience, but also not appreciating being patronized for letting Sasuke do as he willed, Itachi was stone faced as he spoke curtly to his father.

"Get out," barked Fugaku, pointing at the door. "Before I get angrier at your insolence!"

"As you wish."

Bowing to his father, Itachi rose from his seat and turned towards the door. He didn't even flinch as he saw a kunai lodge itself in the wall next to his head as he placed his hand on the doorknob, ready to leave.

"Don't let me see you until I'm ready!" spat Fugaku, enraged at having to deal with finding his second son. "I'll be sending out a search party to make up for your misgivings!"

"As you wish."

Silently, Itachi exited his father's office, and made his way back home. It was already late, and he had a feeling that by the time he got home, Izumi would have put Yuta to sleep.

Ever since he had led the remaining Uchiha forces back to their headquarters from Suna, he had noticed the exhausted atmosphere that was lingering around the compound. Word had quickly gotten around that Fugaku had managed to snag some of Sora's legendary chakra from himself, but they were all curious as to when he would actually use it. Would he announce it to the clan first, or would he seal it within himself without anyone else knowing? As much as everyone was tired, they were also restless. Would this really be their ticket to winning the war?