Arrival

"Are you certain that this will work, sir? What if she doesn't come out? Or what if they don't allow her? Won't she be weakened by the birth?"

"... she will find a way out. One way or another. Believe me. Have you prepared my things?"

"Yes sir."

"Good. Very good."

***

July rolled past uneventfully. As did August, September and October. As much as I wanted to continue with my training under Itachi, by the time early November had come by, it exhausted me to even perform the C-rank jutsu. With Itachi and Shisui's meticulous aid and tutelage, I had become able to perform more difficult B-rank jutsu, ones that Itachi initially believed that I wouldn't have been able to do. Out of sheer curiosity, Shisui had also wondered what it would have been like if I were to learn jutsu of another affinity, and managed to become proficient in a minimal amount of basic C-rank fire style jutsu as well.

As a result, by the time I was forced to stop training by the pair, I felt very confident in my abilities.

"Is it too late to suggest that you learn jutsu of other natures as well?" joked Shisui as the three of us retired into his office after my final day in the training grounds. Now heavily pregnant and well on my way to giving birth, I sat back in my seat and grimaced at the Uchiha, clutching my swollen belly in both hands.

"Well, considering how well learning fire went, I wouldn't object," I said, poking my stomach. "But this girl won't allow it. Hmm, won't you?"

I spoke directly at my womb, making both Shisui and Itachi laugh out loud.

"Ah, seeing you like this reminds me of when Izumi was pregnant with Yuta," said Itachi softly, a nostalgic look in his eyes.

"Izumi? Izumi who lets me eat?"

"Izumi who lets me eat," chortled Shisui across from us. He and Itachi both laughed again.

"Yes, Izumi who lets you eat," chuckled Itachi, shaking his head at my description of the Uchiha woman.

"Wow, I remember meeting her at the beginning of the year... she looked pretty good for someone who'd just had a baby!" I exclaimed, rubbing my belly gently. "Damn, I hope I look that good!"

"You look fine as you are," reassured Shisui. I grinned at him with a wink.

"No I do not," I said, doing finger guns at him. "I can't wait to get her out of me. But I don't want her to be taken away from me, at least not yet. I hate the thought of it."

Itachi and Shisui both looked at me morosely, as if they both agreed with what I wanted.

"Have you thought of a name?" asked Itachi.

"Sasuke recently returned from Suna," added Shisui. "I think he might come down to see you before you go into labour."

"What makes you say that?"

"Tera, this is Sasuke we're talking about," sighed Itachi, scratching the back of his head. "Sasuke who doesn't trust you trust you, even in the hands of other people."

"Oh, yeah." I smirked at the reminder that Sasuke had found the need to remind me to take care of the baby, and rolled my eyes in annoyance.

"Do you think he knows anything about her?" asked Shisui curiously, tilting his head at his friend. Itachi, sitting in the seat next to me in a very relaxed and fluid manner with his legs crossed, shrugged in response.

"Well, if he's run into Karin, I'm sure she would have had the pleasure of updating him on his child's wellbeing," he said. "Knowing Karin."

The three of us continued to lounge in the office, throwing casual banter back and forth as we enjoyed each other's company.