Dinner

"This is a nice place. What's it called again?"

I nodded in approval as I sat with Gaara and Kannon around our low table on cushions, located in a private room at the back of the restaurant. It was traditionally styled, with shōji walls and doors, lit with low light lamps that hung from the ceiling, covered by thin paper lanterns.

"Wan," answered Gaara as he passed me one of three menus, keeping the buzzer to alert our waiter when we were ready to order. "They have good food. It's the best restaurant in Suna."

"I'm honoured you thought to bring us here," I replied eagerly, reaching for my menu and opening it up. As soon as I did, I could see why Wan would be so popular among its kind. There was an abundance of options available, with dishes ranging from exquisite sushi and sashimi to an array of rice and noodle dishes. "Ah! They have okonomiyaki!"

"You like okonomiyaki?"

"Like hell I do! Oh my god, yes, gyoza and yakitori... I can't choose which one to get!"

"Hmm, I like the look of their unadon," said Kannon thoughtfully, tapping her finger on the table as she skimmed over the photos of the dishes. Gaara looked at me, amused, as I struggled to pick something to eat.

"I hope you weren't thinking of ordering only one dish?"

I blinked at him in confusion as he sat across with me, exchanging a look of entertainment with Kannon.

"Order what you like," he finally said, picking up the pen next to him and pointing at our order sheet with it. "Really. I can't imagine they fed you well at the Uchiha place."

I scrunched my nose as I remembered my extensive stay and treatment at the compound. While it hadn't been the worst I'd ever been treated, it certainly had nothing on what I was getting here in Suna.

"Actually, they had some pretty decent food there," I shrugged. "I never missed a meal. But the menu was so repetitive and boring. They didn't have any of this for us!"

I glanced over at Ayumi as she slept in her stroller, reminiscing on my early days with the Uchiha before her conception.

"Then tonight, eat to your heart's content," said Gaara softly, gaze flickering between me and Ayumi. "In fact, you have to order at least five dishes. As Kazekage, I order you to choose at least five dishes to be brought in for us to enjoy tonight."

"Might as well order the whole menu," joked Kannon, nudging the redhead in the side. He snorted and waved her away, focusing his attention on me.

"So? What will it be?"

I looked down at the menu once more, biting my lip.

"But what if we don't finish all the food?"

"Tera, trust me, with me here, that won't be an issue," said Kannon, wiggling her eyebrows at me. "And knowing you, I'm sure you have quite the appetite as well. I'm not sure how much Mr. Kazekage can take, but we can definitely ingest a lot of this stuff. And have room for dessert."

Gaara rolled his eyes as Kannon and I chuckled, shaking his head as he wrote his order on the sheet.

"I'm having katsudon and tempura. You two?"

"We get edamame and miso soup as a part of it, right?" asked Kannon, looking like she was ready to go. I was too; for a brief moment, I closed my eyes and thanked Gaara in my mind while they spoke.

"Yes. Knowing you, you want inarizushi as well right?"

"Yes please. Tera, what are you getting?"