Changeover

"I hope you weren't planning to turn on us back there, Sasuke."

I scowled as I heard Kakashi reprimand me, not even bothering to shake off the hands that were holding me back.

"Why would I?" I spat venomously, feeling nothing but loathing towards the people leading me away.

"Why else would you have your Sharingan activated like that?"

I rolled my eyes as I continued trudging alongside the shinobi in charge of returning me to my family. Ignoring the question, I couldn't help but begin to think of the sudden change in Tera's chakra colour. The last time I had gotten a good look at it, it was bright and radiant, and had a soothing, calming feel about it. However, when I looked at it today, it was anything but that.

It felt like the light from her aura was dimming, and I was mad at myself for being unable to pick up on this any earlier. Gradually, it was getting darker and colder, and it took every nerve I had not to worry about it as much as I wanted to. Were there underlying complications with her pregnancy that they hadn't yet picked up on yet? Was something wrong with her?

Walking away from her without getting an answer was excruciatingly painful.

***

"Knowing the Uchiha, they've got something planned."

As the exchange team safely exited Suna's walls, Kakashi frowned at Asuma's words.

"Who's our replacement? Some lower ranked shinobi called Takumi?" asked Neji, who remained highly unimpressed by the Hokage's agreement to exchange Sasuke for a lower level member of the clan.

"As if they'll actually hand him over," sneered Asuma, his grip on Sasuke's arm iron tight. "I don't know why we're letting them take back this one in the first place." Ever since they had left the prison, Sasuke remained silent, lost in his own thoughts.

"Neither do I."

Kakashi eyed out Sasuke warily, making sure that his own men didn't let slip about the pre-concocted plan regarding Naruto's changeover. The less that Sasuke knew, the better for all of them. The journey through the desert was a swift one, with the shinobi all saving their breath for when it mattered.

"They're up ahead." 

Neji informed his comrades of the incoming Uchiha troupe, staring in the distance. Though their figures weren't yet discernible, they knew they were there, and continued walking forward. Cooperating every step of the way, Sasuke remained silent as he recognised who was approaching them.

Of course Naruto is here. 

Sasuke rolled his eyes upon sensing the Uzumaki's chakra signature, alongside those of his cousins Naka, Naori and Takumi. He wasn't surprised that Itachi wasn't a part of the gang- after all, after what happened on their last retrieval mission, he doubted his father wanted to send Itachi out again.

The air was solemn as the Senju nin came face to face with the Uchiha and Naruto, who had Takumi in a tight grip.

"I've never seen a more good looking group of shinobi in my life," chuckled Asuma, eyes skimming over all of the Uchiha. "Well... with the exception of you, Uzumaki."

Naruto grinned at Asuma.

"You don't have to be good looking to be a good shinobi," he retorted, looking over at Sasuke. "Why are you blindfolded, dobe?"

"Why are you asking me?" scowled Sasuke, who was released by Asuma and Neji.

"Hand over the spare," urged Kakashi, grabbing Sasuke by the scruff of his collar. Naruto narrowed his eyes and released Takumi, nudging him towards the Senju shinobi. At once, Kakashi let go of Sasuke, who walked forward without any hesitation.