Co-Parents

The next Saturday I woke up, groggy as I had been the previous week, but far more relaxed about it than I had been before. I mean, I deserved a break too, right?

"Wakey wakey, sleepy head." I turned to see Kannon sitting at the dining table with Ayumi in her arm, holding a bottle to her mouth. Brow furrowed in confusion, I looked at her with a clouded mind, completely lost.

"What... when did you get in here?"

"I figured you would crash and burn again today, so I took it upon myself to come in and take Ayumi while you rested up," hummed Kannon. I rubbed my eyes as I sat up in bed, reaching over to the bedside table for my phone.

"It's already noon!"

"It is, but give yourself a break, Tera," said Kannon softly. "I heard Ayumi wake up twice last night. You deserve the sleep."

"It's fine, really," I said with a yawn, stretching my arms. "Let me guess, she cried again this morning and I didn't wake up?"

"Actually, not this time," she chuckled. "I let myself in before she could start crying and wake you up."

"Thanks for that," I repeated, getting out of bed. As I made my way to the bathroom, Kannon called out to me once more.

"Hey, Tera, if you need someone to swap over with for the night shift, I have no objection to being that person," she said as I walked into the bathroom to freshen up. "Now that you're training and all, it's only going to get harder."

"I'll keep that in mind. Thanks."

***

"It's reassuring to know that you two talk about me whenever I'm not around. Truly, I'm grateful for that."

I looked between Sasuke and Kannon with a raised eyebrow as we visited the Uchiha again that day, and the pair had completely different reactions. Kannon began whistling and looking around; Sasuke, on the other hand, stared directly into my eyes and said, "I could say the same about you two."

"I'm not locked up though, am I?" I replied coolly, making Sasuke sigh and shake his head.

"Then blame her, not me," he said in exasperation, motioning towards my absentminded cousin as she continued to avoid the spotlight. "I can't help it if she comes and sees me when she feels like it. I can't really walk away, can I."

"You could talk about other things."

"Are you still mad that I made you say all those things even though I already knew the answer?"

"Maybe."

Kannon sighed, not able to ignore us any longer, and looked between Sasuke and I.

"You two, honestly," she said, gesturing at me, then at the Uchiha. "You like him. He likes you. You both agreed on that, right? You also both agreed that even though the circumstances right now aren't optimal for pursuing a relationship, you've also agreed that whatever the fuck you have going on right now is exclusive. So can you just agree that you're, like... a couple? A couple of idiots, definitely, but I mean a couple as in... boyfriend and girlfriend!"

"Already ahead of you," muttered Sasuke under his breath. I, on the other hand, raised an eyebrow at Kannon's sudden statement.

"Damn, where did that come from, Miss Relationship Guru?" I asked, slightly amused at her outburst. "How desperately do you want to see this happen?"

"With all my heart," groaned Kannon, throwing her hands up into the air. "It's as if you two are in a movie, and the universe just doesn't want you to be together! That's why I'm saying fuck the universe! I'll do it myself! Just say your I love yous and get your shit together! Stop being tsundere!"