Origin

I lay on the ground, unmoving.

I had no idea what time it was, or if time had even passed at all. Being trapped in this darkness was driving me mad, and I had no idea what to do about it. I thought that venting all my frustrations through verbally attacking Sora would make me feel somewhat better, but the only thing it made me feel was tired. I might as well have been talking to myself.

"Need some company?"

I jolted as I heard Sora near me, having not sensed her arrival at all. At this point in time, I'd given up trying to fight her. I was obviously never going to win in a realm where she had the upper hand.

"Great. I don't guess I get to choose my company, do I?" I said dryly.

"You've been quiet for a while. Have you given up?"

"Yes. Are you happy?"

"Hmm, not really. I quite enjoyed your rants and tirade of verbal abuse. It made life all the more entertaining."

"Are you here to put me out of my misery and kill me?" I asked monotonously, not surprised if that's what ended up happening. I hadn't been able to control my own body for a long time, so I might as well have been dead to the world.

"If I could have, I would've done it a long time ago. Trust me, the last thing I want is to be sharing this vessel with you."

"Can you please stop calling me a vessel?!"

"It suits you. You're my vessel."

"I don't even know why I bother with you," I groaned, rolling over. Regardless of the fact that I was going crazy in isolation, Sora's presence didn't help one bit.

However, as I rolled over, I felt my arm brush over a light, silky material, which I assumed to be the hem of Sora's kimono.

As soon as I did, I lost all consciousness.

***

"Hey, why are you out here all alone? What's your name?"

It was as if I was watching a movie, and the main characters were standing right in front of me.

Blinking as the sun hit me directly in the eyes, I covered them and looked around at my new surroundings. It took me a while to adjust, as I had seen nothing but darkness up until that point.

I was on the side of a hill, which was surrounded by a lush forest at its foot. It was a clear, sunny day, with not a cloud in sight; and once I had finished analysing the environment, I took it upon myself to take a look at the two people before me.

On the very top of the hill sat a woman with long, white hair tied back in a braid, dressed in a simple powder blue yukata, gazing down at the scenery below. Beside her stood a man with bright red hair and warm hazel eyes, just a few centimeters taller than me.

"Sora?!" I exclaimed, recognising the spirit's form straight away. However, my exclamation went unnoticed, and the scene continued playing before me, uninterrupted.

The strange man bent down and held out a hand to Sora, shooting her a kind smile.

"Are you lost?" he asked, waiting for her to respond. "My name is Haruto. What's yours?"

"Umm..." Sora looked up at the man blankly, who raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "I don't have one..."

"Hmm. Curious." The man rubbed his chin as he analysed Sora's form, and I sat down beside the pair, watching their interaction carefully.

"You know what you remind me of?" asked Haruto, sitting down comfortably next to Sora. She eyed him out warily, suspicious of his intentions.

"No. But no doubt you're going to tell me."