Chapter Fourteen

Claire's mind kept wandering back to what that girl said about her, and even though she knew the girl said it out of jealously, she was still hurt by it. The walk back home was silent, well, almost. It was silent except for Luke, every once in a while he say how beautiful Claire looked, in an attempt to make her feel better. However, she wasn’t really listening; just watching the ground and thinking.

As they were getting closer to Luke's house Claire looks up at him, seeing how upset it was making him that she was upset. She decided ot to keep moping around all day, she tries to bring a smile to her face, but it wasn't't working too well. “ Please, Claire?” Luke asks in soft tone.

“What?”

“Please don’t believe her.” A genuine smile came to Claire's face when she realized how much he cared; She grabs his hand and squeezes it., “Maybe you could stay over and we could all cheer you up?” Claire slightly nods.

They get to his house and when they walk in Claire sees the boy she poured milk on sitting in the living room. “Skip! What are you doing here!?” Luke asked.

“Well, Jai invited me over but- HEY! You are the girl that spilled milk on me!” Skip exclaimed, noticing Claire.

“Yeah…It spilled.” Claire assures, giggling, “Did it all wash out?”

“Yeah.” Skip replies, “so are you two like, you know, toget-”

“No!” Claire interrupts, letting go of Luke’s hand, her face starts to get red.

“yeah," Luke adds, uncomfortably, "So, where is Jai?” Luke questions.

“Upstairs with that Kaitlin chick.” Skip answers, “She’s pretty cool when she isn’t sucking Jai’s face off”

Luke ad Claire chuckle, heading upstairs,  when they get to the top they see Jai and Kaitlin sitting on the couch in the den, lips together.

“You can stop now, we are in the room.” Claire announces. Kaitlin, flushed, notices Luke and Claire. She pushes herself from Jai. “Hey, Luke I’m pretty tired I think I’m going to go home and take a nap…” Claire says.

“Uh, okay… “ Luke says, frowning, “Maybe when you wake up you could come back over?” Claire nods, heading downstairs and out the door. She gets to her house and sets her alarm for an hour and thirty minutes of nap time.

-

Now that Claire wasn’t there Luke decided it was time for him to ask a question,  “Kaitlin?”

“Yes Luke?”

“Do you think I could ask you something?” Luke starts, "just you and me?" He adds. Knowing how weird it will sound, Jai’s head shoots up and gives Luke a glare, “Oh come on! It's about Claire!” Kaitlin took my hand, sitting me on the couch.

“Shoo! Go play with Skip or something, we kinda left him” Kaitlin instructs, he began to protest but she pecked his lips, “Please?” Jai then trudged down the stairs. Luke sighs, he was completely jealous of their relationship. “Okay, go ahead.”

“Okay last night Claire woke up from this nightmare, and the things she was muttering in her sleep sounded like it was horrible. and I can't help but feel like something has happened to Claire” He pauses, trying to figure out where this is going, “Do you know what might have happened?” 

Kaitlin gave me a weird look, “How do you know Claire told me?”

“So something did happen!” Luke exclaims, “Please tell me! I need to figure out how to show her she can trust me.”

Kaitlin sighs, “Fine. Fine, I’ll tell you. But she can't know! First of all, the only reason she didn’t want you knowing is because she thinks you are going to get worried about her.” Luke scoffs, thinking,  well of course I am going to get worried.  “It all started when she just turned 15…

“…It was just a normal day, and she was sitting at her usual lunch table with 5 of her friends. When some kid came up and sat next to her, Claire said it was the most popular boy in school Mark Hopper. “Hey Clare” Mark said.

“Oh, uh, Hi Mark.” Clare said politely, she didn’t like Mark much because he was always a jerk to everyone.

“So, I was thinking since you are pretty, and nice that we would make a great couple! What do you say?” Claire shook her head and looked down at her luncg, trying not to be rude. For weeks Mark asked, and asked, and asked. Every single time she said no, not wanting anything to do with him.

Apparently Mark got fed up with being rejected. He spread a rumor around the school saying Claire said yes to being his girlfriend, made out with him and then broke up with him, which never even happened.

After that the rest of the year at school Claire got called a ‘slut’ and a ‘whore’. One day at the end of the year, Mark said he wanted to apologize to Claire. After school they went to the back of the school. “Kiss me” Mark demanded when she got there.

“No way. Fuck off” Claire replied, about to leave. Mark then slapped her really hard in the face making her fall to the ground. Mark kept asking for a kiss and every time she said no, and every time she got slapped. Finally, Mark just grabbed her face and was about to force her to kiss him, when Claire kicked him in the balls.

“FINE” Mark screamed, “WHATEVER” He then knocked Claire to the ground and kicked her, repeatedly. After he finished he just left her there, in the back of the school…”

“…and ever since then, Claire says it's just hard to trust people.”  Kaitlin finishes. Luke sits there, his muscles tensed up. He didn’t even know what to think, all he knew is he  wanted to go get Claire scoop her up in my arms and tell her everything was alright, and give her a big kiss on the lips. Of course, I can’t do that because she doesn’t want to kiss me. he thought.

Vote Comment Fan | I love you.