Countdown

Sharice drove down the highway with mixed emotions. She had agreed to meet with Taylour after her insistent begging. Sharice couldn't help to admit that she missed her friend but she was still hurt by her accusations. To be questioned about your loyalty when you've never been anything but loyal, and be so quick to walk away. Taylour better come correct during this meeting or it will be the last time they ever speak to one another. Sharice had so much going on in her own life and didn't need anyone taking up space who didn't genuinely want to be there. Especially if they didn't trust her. Pulling up to the garage she gave her car to the valet. Grabbing her purse she handed the attendant a tip. Fixing her clothes, she walked across the street to the site of café goers sitting at tables on the corner of the street. Walking past she saw a familiar face.

"Sheila?" She asked with surprise.

"Hey Sharice, how are you?"

"I'm great but what are you doing here?"

"Having lunch with my friend. Mimi this is Sharice, her and I go way back."

"Hello nice to meet you," she said smiling.

"Likewise." The woman retorted.

"What a beautiful baby you have." Sharice cooed over the baby who sat in a car seat placed on a chair. She had beautiful mahogany skin with soft curls brushed neatly under her yellow bow. Matching her adorable green and yellow sun dress and baby Mary Jane shoes. The little girl latched on to Sharice's finger and smiled which melted her faster than ice in the sun. "What's her name?"

"Sicily," Mimi replied warmly.

"Hi, Sicily you are so beautiful." Sicily cooed as if she understood the compliments brought forth.

"Mimi, you know Sharice knows Taylour also. They've been best friends for almost twenty years" The woman's smile dissipated.

"Do you know Taylour?" Sharice asked.

"Unfortunately," Mimi responded with disdain.

"Excuse me!?" Sharice had this look as if she were ready to set her straight.

"What she means is, unfortunately, she hasn't had the opportunity to know her the way you do. You know how small Atlanta is and hearing all the great things she's done it's almost as if she's untouchable." Sheila interjected.

"Yeah...that's what I mean." Mimi looked away.

"For your sake, I hope that's what you meant..." Mimi snapped her neck in Sharice's direction.

"Sheila when you get a chance you make sure you call me because we definitely need to talk."

"We can talk now if you'd like."

"No. I have somewhere to be and I'm sure you'd want to get back to lunch with your friend. Enjoy the rest of your meal ladies. Goodbye, Sicily." Sharice leaned in to smile at the baby when Mimi abruptly covered her with the car seat visor. Sharice stood and simply walked away thinking ...what the hell was her problem?

Taylour looked at the time and was nervous that Sharice wouldn't show up. Before she could feel the full impact of her fear, her office phone buzzed.

"Miss Davis I have Sharice here to see you." Taylour exhaled in relief.

"Thanks, Des please send her in. Thank you." Taylour nervously fidgeted as the door opened. She refrained from doing the very thing she wanted which was to run and hug her sister and cry.

"Hi, Sharice."

"Hi," she said coldly.

"Please have a seat." Sharice sat across from her. They both sat in silence for a matter of four minutes. Neither knowing what to say or where to start.