'...more than 23 reasons'

...More Than 23 Reasons

Taylour made it downtown in record time. Her staff was dressed in their white company t-shirts with her fuchsia logo in the middle. Tables were being set up on the sidewalk in front of an open field that was closed off by a metal-wired gate. They were blocks away from the Atlanta rescue shelter. Many homeless people roamed the streets at night when the shelter would fill up to capacity. Taylour and her staff thought it would be handy to create backpacks of food, multiple pairs of socks, and toiletries for them to carry around. It worked out once they were able to have a company called Live Sport donate the backpacks.

For the families in need of food, they would have boxes of food for them to carry with can goods and more.

She had to admit that Detrick's company came through with the groceries as they said they would. They even donated $50.00 gift cards to their store for the things that people may need in an emergency. They expected 200 families and at least 80 homeless individuals, possibly more. With the truck that Detrick provided to carry everything Taylour believed they had more than enough. If there were leftovers, they would go door to door and provide them to the residents in the area.

Taylour got out of the car and was so happy with the turnout. She saw families starting to line up. Looking around it felt like something was missing. Or someone.

"Des?" Taylour stopped her while she moved speedily from the truck to the tent that was set up.

"Hi Miss D," Des responded.

"Hi. Honey, have you seen Detr- I mean Mr. Simmons? Has he shown up yet?"

"No, I haven't seen him yet. "Do you want me to call him?"

"No! I mean maybe he is running late." Taylour didn't mean to sound abrupt.

"If he comes I will tell him that you're looking for him."

"No that won't be necessary." There was no if about it. Detrick better show up if he knows what's good for him, Taylour thought to herself. She hoped he would uphold his part of their deal or she would do everything she could to disassociate herself with him and his business.

2 hours later

The turnout was incredible. Some so many families showed up and were grateful for the food and assistance. So many smiling faces. Taylour was pleased and amazed to know just months ago she was on the brink of losing all she had worked for, and now seeing it's still going and better than ever. She knew it was nobody but God and she would spend every day thanking him for what he did when he did it, and how only he could do it.

Taylour was becoming restless and hungry. She had been in the heat for longer than it seemed her body could handle. She looked up and saw that the clouds were slowly gathering with the humidity on high. This felt like hurricane weather but it was too early for it to be this way. Grabbing a bottle of cold water from a nearby cooler, she took a sip and placed the cold water on her forehead to cool her body. She did all that she could to not think of Detrick being a no-show. He talked a good game as if he wasn't this arrogant ass and a man of his word. Maybe that's all he was, talk. She had the sudden urge to use the restroom and walked down the street to a nearby gas station. Going to the store, she bought a bag of chili Doritos and left. Coming back around the corner she saw a van parked near her staff. Few of them sat in chairs on break eating, while others finished helping the families. There was a separate table full of nothing but subs, chips, fruit, and drinks.

"Des where did this come from?" Taylour asked Des, who was stuffing her face. She had to take a moment to finish chewing and swallow. "It's from Detrick...I mean Mr. Simmons. He showed up right after you left, with all this food. He was just here but I don't see him," she said while Taylour's eyes searched for him through the crowd of people. She instantly became nervous wiping her hands on her pants from her sweaty palms. Looking all around he was nowhere and the thought of him leaving without speaking to her was disappointing for reasons she felt better to not analyze or explain. Holding her head down, she reached into her pocket for her cell and saw a text from Sean.