Until you come Back to me

All rights reserved© Lour Darden

 Dinner cooked: check, Kids Bathed: check. Now feed the kids, help with homework, and off to bed. My God, I'm tired.

"Jay and Mel come downstairs. Dinner is ready."

Two smiling faces that closely resembled their parents equally, raced to the dining room table. Taylour loved her children and just the sight of them could always revitalize her after a hard day's work.

" Mom, what are we having?" Jay asked.

"Spaghetti." She said while swatting his hand away from the plate.

"Did you wash your hands, young man?"

"Yes mama I did. I even used soap this time"

A smirk formed at the corners of Taylour's mouth thinking that her son's idea of washed hands was his hand sitting under running water.

" Okay, guys let's say grace."

"Wait, what about Daddy?" Melody said looking at her mother. "Isn't Daddy going to eat with us?"

" Let me call him and see if he's on his way. Hold on a sec'." Taylour headed to the kitchen to retrieve her phone and call her husband. It was well past 6:30 pm and he was normally home by 5 pm. Lifting her phone she saw a missed call and text message.

Hubby

Babe, I have to work late again. I'll be home later I love you. Kiss the Kids for me.

This was the third time this week that Sean had to work late. This was becoming a habit. Taylour understood that he had a new project but what about home?

Sean was the most sought-after Architect in all of Atlanta. However, being sought after had just as many Pros as it did cons. Sometimes Taylour would have to take him dinner at the office while her mother stayed with the kids. He would be there each time burning the midnight oil. She just chalked it up to a minor sacrifice made to keep their comfortable lifestyle.

She took her seat across from her two children.

" Daddy just text me, he has to work late."

"Awwww man," the children said in unison. Their words and faces were painted in disappointment.

" But Ma' Daddy, and I was supposed to watch the Heat game tonight. He promised tonight was our night" Jay said in a whine.

" He told me he was going to help me with my project Mommy. I still have to paint my planets." Melody said in a whisper looking down at her spaghetti.

Taylour hated to see her children disappointed and knew firsthand what disappointment could do, especially at the hands of someone else.

" I'm sorry guys but Daddy had to work. How about I tape the game for you Jay? Then you and daddy can watch it tomorrow. Mel, I'll help you with your planets. How does that sound?"

Mel smiled and nodded at her mother's offer. That smile was reassurance that Taylour had helped the situation somewhat.

"No mom that's okay everyone will be talking about the game tomorrow and my teacher and I have a bet going. Forget it! I'll just watch it by myself." Jay said in a tone of sadness.

"What bet do you and your teacher have going on?" She smiled at the thought of her eight-year-old son conjuring up a bet with his teacher about sports. True to form he was his father's child. From his mahogany complexion, perfect eyebrows, and bright smile. Quite tall to be eight years old. With his father's charm and clever ways of thinking, Jay already had most of the third-grade girls in a tizzy, especially around valentines day. He once came home with a bag of cards and boxes of candy personally addressed to him. When asked what did he give in return he simply said "Mom, you don't give just because they do. If you give to every girl who gives to you, then when you have a special girl what you give won't matter because you gave everyone else the same. So I just said thank you and they were fine with that." She smiled at his philosophy. Her eight-year-old was his Daddy in the making.