The Road To Restoration

Two Weeks Later

After work, Sean went to pick the kids up from school. He stopped by the store to pick up a bouquet of Sunflowers and a bottle of wine for Taylour. Since she was pregnant, she could, at least, enjoy one glass.

Despite his conversation with Mike, he wasn't going to let anything take away from the giddy feeling in the pit of his stomach. He knew the reality of the situation and that there was so much to move through but they were on their way. He could just feel it deep inside. Sean made a promise to himself that when he officially had his family back together, he would spend the rest of his life thanking God for the favor and forgiveness given to him.

Walking down aisle four he picked up Stouffer's macaroni &cheese and a pack of bacon. Taylour's specific requests for her cravings. He didn't have to buy dinner because she was going to cook stew chicken, pigeon peas, and rice. He called her on his lunch break to check in and see how she was feeling and she told him what was for dinner. Sean offered his services to be a chef for the duration of her pregnancy. He remembered all too well how her sense of taste would change causing things to either be too salty or under-seasoned when she is pregnant. She declined his offer and proceeded to make the kids' favorite meal.

Chuckling to himself he made a mental note to ban her from the kitchen once he moved back in.

Pulling into the driveway they all raced to the door. It was hard to tell who was more excited about being home and seeing Taylour, him or the kids. He rang the doorbell since she followed through with changing the locks. With the door slowly opening Melody and Jay wasted no time greeting their mother with hugs. Taylour stood with her hair braided in a side ponytail wearing a white V-neck t-shirt and Tweety Bird pajama bottoms. Although she looked a bit flustered her bare skin was flawless with a natural glow that made the use of make-up an option; not a necessity. Sean preferred her bare in any and every sense of the word. She looked comfortable yet exhausted as if she could really use a hug. He stared into her eyes and felt a pulling within him as she faintly smiled in his direction while the kids ran past her into the living room.

"Hi," she softly greeted.

"Hi."

"How was your day? Did you..." Still standing at the door he smiled and reached from behind his back holding out the bouquet of Sunflowers. Taylour smiled brightly with rosy blushing cheeks.

"Ahhh...sunflowers!!" She squealed. Taking the flowers out of his hand she leaped towards him wrapping her arms around his neck. He embraced her affection and held her securely in his arms pleased with her excitement.

She had reacted to sunflowers the way most women reacted to diamonds. Many would see no comparison but sunflowers always got her out of a rut. She told him back when they were dating that sunflowers reminded her of a moment in her childhood when she was happy, content, and special. Her stepfather had bought her a denim hat with a big sunflower on the front that she had been eyeing for months. She remembered how happy and fulfilled she felt by something so simple. He continued to give her sunflowers when she needed a pick-me-up.

Her stepfather would tell her "Don't look for the rainbows look for the sunflowers. They're big in size and bold in color even though few appreciate them. Always remember when you walk into a room where sunflowers are present, they will in some way change your mood. Letting you know after all the chaos and pain of life there will always be simplicity and that is where true happiness lies. Whether you're loved by all or few, someone will appreciate you just the way you appreciate that flower."

Sean made a point to always surprise her with them when they were dating. Once married he continued for some time and then abruptly stopped. He was too busy to even think let alone care about buying her flowers, but not now, not anymore. He would never allow himself to get to that point again. He would plant her a garden of sunflowers if it meant her smiling at him the way she was now.