Chapter 81

Lauren's POV 

So, Justin reluctantly agreed to fight Halsey one on one, apparently there's some Werewolf code of conduct that states that a Werewolf in competition for the 'throne' cannot turn down a challenge from an opposing pack. To my displeasure there was one little catch that Halsey failed to mention, if she loses this fight all opposing Werewolves and conspirators are fair game and must submit to execution. Yeah, i think the fuck not. It's funny, i try so hard to avoid these life or death scenarios and yet i somehow stumbled across one where my life is in a total strangers hands. Why didn't i just stay neutral like Dinah, Normani and Ally? No i had to try and do the right thing and resolve a conflict before it became grossly out of hand. 

I don't even know where Tyrus has dissapeared to, it wouldn't surprise me if he high tailed it out of here as fast as he could. A part of me hopes he went looking for Camila, but that's a pretty far reaching assumption even if it would put my mind at ease. She set out to become an Alpha and hopefully once that happens she'll come back right? I just need to get things squared away here and then i can start trying to get things back on the straight and narrow. 

'Halsey, we doin' this thing or what!?' i yelled as i walked toward the tent and stepped inside. This is just not my day. I expected to find a ready, capable and determined Werewolf getting pumped for her big fight and what pray tell do i find in it's place? 

'Oh, h-hey LoLo, this whiskey is the fucking sh-hit' A drunk, bumbling pile of mess on the floor. I should've known the stress would get to her, she's been way too calm about this whole thing. 

'Halsey, what am i looking at right now?' i said disbelievingly and snatched the half empty bottle out of her hands. 

'I don't fu-ucking know, i can't see through your eyes' she replied with an annoyed voice before breaking into a fit of laughter. 

'You're supposed to be fighting Justin, to the death, in like ten minutes and you're here drunk out of your mind!' i exclaimed while watching her clamber unceremoniously to her feet. 

'Don't judge me!' she sulked. 'I cracked okay, i don't want to d-die Lauren, but i refuse to let that little twerp take over from Dedrick. I need you fight in my place!'

And there it is. Why? Why does every girl i meet need me to kill something for them or protect them from something? Why can't i find a nice, sweet, normal girl who only needs kisses and cuddles from me? Like is that too much to ask. I guess i don't really have a choice here, i talked Halsey into the fight with Justin, I contributed in Dedricks 'removal' in a way, and it's not like she can ask any of her pack to fight for her because they'd accuse her of being a coward and she'd lose all credibility. Eurgh, fine, no one can say Lauren Jauregui never did anything for the good of others. The only problem now is getting Justin to agree to it, although i see no reason why he wouldn't just choose another champion to fight in his place in order to save his own skin, so really this should be a cinch.  

'I'll go talk to Justin' i sighed and walked out of the tent as a happy Halsey took a victory jump and almost fell on her face. Smooth.  

The discussion with Justin actually went over pretty well, like i predicted he was fast to agree to the new terms and elected one of his pack members to step in and take his place. The Werewolves escorted me to the arena to await my fight with some guy named Matthew, i didn't know if he was a Beta or an Omega but all these Werewolves look the same to me no matter what flashy title they give themselves. He should be no problem, i've fought Camila on plenty occasions and then there was the 'not-so-Camila' and her army of little wolves, and then the really big, scary Alpha Camila which was just... ridiculous. Basically i should be fine, no sweat, literally.