Chapter 51

Camila's POV 

Standing at the border was almost as intimidating as the people we would meet when we finally made it through. We've come so far, faced so many challenges, and yet none of them compare to this moment right here. It would be unfair to say that fighting for our lives, falling in love and over coming deep personal suffering is a minor thing, but this will prove to be one of the most important things we ever do. And all of this is riding on that backbone that i can do this, and if we're being totally honest i almost killed us all when i asked Ally to pull over and she didn't do what i asked in under 0.2 seconds. Luckily we didn't test our immortality against a stationary object, but it did alert the 4 girls to the fact that i was feeling less than confident. 

'Girl, i get that you're scared, but you touch the steering wheel again and you won't have to worry about somebody else killing you' Ally joked. 

'I know i'm sorry it's just- i have this feeling, a bad feeling' i admitted and felt Lauren's cold hands squeeze the hand already in her grasp. 

'Camila, do you believe in destiny?' Normani asked. I was a little confused as to what her question had to do with the current topic of conversation, but if i've come to learn anything about her it's that she's literally wise beyond her years so i indulged her. 

'I mean i guess. Why?' i replied and saw Dinah smiling in the corner of my eye as she watched her girlfriend. That's right i said girlfriend. Dinah asked Normani, just in case you were wondering. She said it wasn't exactly the way she had planned or had hoped for, she wanted it to be romantic and meaningful, not at some diner in the middle of nowhere but it was beautiful none the less. 

-

The two were at a clearing a little ways from the parking lot, and you could not have asked for a better sight, i mean i thought the view from the waterfall at the Jauregui's house was breath taking; but this, this was so much more. 

Stretched out for miles in front of them were hundreds and hundreds of tree tops, hill tops and right in the center encased in moonlight was a shimmering crisp blue lake. Normani was sat in front of Dinah, the Polynesian with her arms wrapped tightly around the dark skinned girl. Everything about that moment was so perfect, Dinah mentioned how at peace she felt, like she was untouchable, unbreakable and yet so vulnerable at the same time. So long as she had Normani she knew they would be okay. A cool breeze brisked past them, caressing the two new lovers and almost invisibly nudging the two closer together Dinah placed a gentle kiss in the crook of Normani's neck and said;

'Hey Mani'

'Yeah?' 

'I'm going to tell you something and you have to promise not to laugh okay?' Dinah told her, and Normani turned her head to look back at the slightly nervous girl with a crooked smile. 

'Of course, i promise' she replied and kissed the taller girls cheek. 

'Do you remember when we turned 60? We were at your house in Texas, it was the middle of winter, and we were both inside sipping on Lemonade and laughing about the good old days like we were two really old grandmothers just catching up? You seemed really down that day and i had all but given up on trying to find out what was wrong, you kept insisting that you were okay, but i could feel it, like your sadness was my sadness; deep down in my gut i knew and i couldn't let it go. I knew i had to do something, so i took you out to dinner, dragged you around to every store, every amusement park, i won you hundreds of teddies and got all your favourite movies for movie night. But nothing would work, nothing, your smile just wasn't as bright and i could tell you were just doing all those things for my sake' she started, tugging Normani just a little closer like she would fade away if she didn't hold on tight enough.