The Cold Feet

From a while, all I could literally hear was virat's playful scoldings to all our friends from the other side of small flower curtain decorated with light pink roses. Our haldi ceremony was going on and as ususal virat and me weren't allowed to see each other. So, the smart wedding planners came up with this brilliant idea. And here I was sitting quietly on the other side to let virat finish applying turmeric paste so, the bride which was me would get to do the same.

"Enough already. I look like a yellow snowman. This is worst than holi." I finally laughed listening to virat's drama.

"Wait for it wifey. You won't be laughing much afterwards." Pressing my lips in a thin line I tried to suppress my laughter but the smug smile was prominent.

"I am counting on it." I mumbled pulling my hair into a bun.

We were sitting at the lawn where all the arrangements were done, I couldn't believe I was getting married today. This felt surreal, almost like a dream.

"Arre leave some for asmi!" Sukhu pointed at the half empty gigantic wooden bowl of the turmeric paste mixed with sandalwood powder.

"Okay. Now the haldi can be applied to the bride as the groom is already done with his." Saroj ma spoke snatching away the bowl from jayesh's hands and brought it to our side.

"Now he is done asmi it's your turn. " Ma smiled and scooped paste in her hands brought it near my face.

Before she could touch me I felt someone's hand on my forearm from the side, swooping downward in one quite motion. I turned horrified and found a big chunk of turmeric paste spread all over my arm and virat's laughter erupting frton the other side.

"Virat!" Saroj ma scolded him but it was playful, she was later on smiling at him. Virat laughed more along with his friends. He had taken advantage of the long ropes of flowers and snuck his hand out to apply the haldi on me, first.

"See ma, now it's even more holy that I directly applied haldi to asmi." Everyone laughed, and I couldn't help but smile myself.

This guy.

Everyone gathered and it was time for me to face the torture. By the end if it I was completely drenched in the yellow paste and my baby pink saree wasn't pink anymore.

∆∆∆

It took me more than an hour just to change my skin color back to normal. A milk bath did the trick and I was exhausted. But it wasn't time for rest I had to get ready for the next ceremony.

After an hour I found myself sitting inside the Pooja room with my family. It was a small ritual where they give me my three main bridal jewellery pieces. A nosepin, chooda and anklets. They also tied kaleran to my bangles which are small umbrella shaped jewellery ensembles the bridal look. After the small Pooja and I was back too my room getting ready for the wedding ceremony.

My stomach flipped a lot of times when the realization was sinking in. It was getting real. Oh my god, I was getting married. All the girls and my make up artist gathered around me once I was done wearing the life sucking-ly heavy pink lehenga and the blouse.

"She is looking so pretty without the makeup. Imagine what will happen afterwards." Kiran squeaked and jumped at her place clapping her hands a few times. I laughed as they did my hair.

It felt like an enternity when Razia announced that my make up was done. Then came the jewellery, and they were heavy as fuck. I am not really a fan of heavy antique jewellery pieces but the ones I picked out were beautiful.